SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maschka1

2 Different hardwoods meeting at a door. is this OK???

maschka1
13 years ago

(sorry this is a X-post from flooring- wasn't sure which forum was best for it)

Hello everyone!

I am agonizing over this decision and was hoping to get some outside opinions. I want to know if it is a total no-no to meet two different hardwood floors (between master and the rest of the house)?

We have a 2 story home (built in 1993). Our master bedroom is at the top of our stairs. The main floor has 5" Brazilian Koa (Tigerwood)wood floors. We have purchased a 5" African Mahogany, hand-scraped, in an ebony (very dark chocolate color) stain for our Master bedroom.

We had planned on replacing the carpet on the stairs and in the hallway in front of our bedroom with new carpet but recently learned that our dog is incontinent.

Now we are changing that though process and feel it would be best to bring our Koa floors up the stairs and into the hallway upstairs (due to the potential urine issue). This would mean, however, that the Koa would meet up with the African Mahogany at our master bedroom door. This concerns me.

Is this a big decorating "no-no"? I have not seen multiple wood types in most houses

Could this be a resale problem?

My husband thinks it is perfectly fine but I just worry. It is a lot of money and we will have to live with it for a long time. plus I just haven't seen it done before.

My husbands idea was to put the flooring in the master at a diagonal to further designate the space as separate from the rest of the house. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)