SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonepi

Want to Extend Attic Floor - See Photos

sonepi
13 years ago

Okay. What I want seems really simple to me, but I thought I would run it here to see if you think I should attempt it.

I have a walk-in attic space but only a small part of it has a floor for storing things like luggage and out-of-season shoes and clothes. I want to basically put down plywood or something else to extend the flooring. It is under an angled roof.

I think the wood pieces under the insulation only go one direction which you can see close to the platform area. I was thinking of laying down on the platform that is already installed and toenailing? some 2 x 4 pieces crosswise and staggered between the parallel wood. I would then get panels (either plywood or something else) and screw it into the cross pieces to hold the boards.

I am comfortable with drills and the like. I think I can do it, hubbie says don't try, hire someone. It seems so simple in my mind, except for the possibility of falling through the ceiling. LOL

Do my steps sound proper? What part may I be missing from my idea? I still need to know proper procedure. I don't want to be like some of the homeowners featured on that "Renovation Realities" show. ;-)

What would be the best way to go about it? Should I be concerned about all the insulation? Is it okay to press it between the plywood sheets by enclosing the insulation under the plywood? Should I leave some gaps for the wood to "breathe"? It gets pretty hot up there in the summer. In the pictures you can see the very small platform that has the plastic container on the current flooring. I posted this on the Home Repair site before I realized it really should have been here. Thanks for any help.

Comments (7)