SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelhuck_gw

Cats left in house after showing while we were on vacation...

kelhuck
11 years ago

I'm beyond frustrated and don't know what to do....if I can do anything at all.

We left for vacation last week and came home to discover that our cats had been let in to the house during a showing on Monday, but weren't let out. We didn't get home until the following Sunday. So they were in the house without food or water or a litter box for almost 6 days. Well, I take that back.....they did have a litter box- my son's carpet. Thankfully the cats are alive, but the carpet is going to need replaced. We've tried spot treating, and we'll have a professional cleaning, but the company has already said that they probably won't be able to remove the smell entirely.

I have no idea what the protocol is for realtors and animals and am hoping you can shed light on this for me? I realize there is blame to be shared by all parties- my neighbor who was supposed to be feeding them for not calling me when the cats went "missing", me for not leaving explicit notes to make sure the cats weren't locked in the house. And I certainly don't expect the realtor to go chasing my cats around to get them out of the house. But I just keep coming back to the fact that we should have received a call from the showing agent letting us know that the cats are in the house so that we could send someone over to let them out.

I've got an email in to our realtor, so we'll see what she says. But I wanted to see what you all think should be/could be done about this.

Comments (24)