SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Hummingbird Magic!

jel48
11 years ago

The absolutely most amazing thing happened last night! I had cleaned the hummingbird feeders at the camp and was starting to refill them. One has a big red base with yellow flowers on it and you have to snap the top and bottom of the base together, which is a pain!

I was trying to get it to snap in place and a male hummer came up and tried to drink from the flowers while I was holding it! He even tried to get to the one I had my finger over! I think he was ticked off at me because of my finger being in the way! I've heard you can hand feed hummingbirds by holding a little feeder and sitting very still, if you're patient, but I didn't even have to be patient!!! :-)

The hummers at camp are very used to us. The feeders are mostly (three of them) along the edge of the deck so they are constantly feeding within 7-8 feet of us when we are out there. They buzz us often, and are right in our faces demanding food, if the feeders run dry! So I guess this was just the next step!

The photo is from last year and is of a female (and at a different feeder). The hummer that tried to drink from the feeder in my hand last night was a male. Did you know that the red splotch on the chin of a mail Ruby Throated Hummingbird is actually black? But the feathers somehow reflect the light in a way that they look red to us most of the time. Last night that little guy looked like he had a spot of blood red sparkling rubies at his throat!

Comments (16)