SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brachl_gw

how to choose windows?

brachl
16 years ago

I posted this question on the Windows forum, but this forum seems more active, so I am posting it here, too. I have read many postings on this forum and the Windows forum, and I have not found a decision tree for choosing replacment windows. Is there such a thing? I am new to these two forums,as we have now decided that we should focus first on the outside of our house before we do our inside remodel (which I have been planning for many months). We will be replacing our siding with Hardie Plank, and we are considering replacing all 35 of our windows, too. Our house was built in 1987 as a spec house, and the current windows are not great. The company we plan to use for the Hardie Plank has recommended that we use Alside vinyl windows. When I asked the salesman about wood, fiberglass or alumninum windows, he told me that people in our area (the middle of North Carolina) don't use fiberglass, that aluminum is used mainly for commercial buildings, and that there was no reason to spend the extra $ for wood. Once he left, I immediately came to GW and researched vinyl windows on both this forum and Windows. While i found some valuable information, I am still confused. How should I go about deciding what windows to get? I assume that we would get only windows that have good Energy Star, Solar Heat Gain Coefficient and U-value ratings. I also assume we should consider Condensation Resistance,Air Infiltration, and Visible Transmittance. After we look at these ratings, what other factors should we consider -- cost, aesthetics, material, maintenance, warranty? Anything else? Thanks in advance from this windows newbie.

Comments (11)

• amyspaetzle262
    16 years ago

Check out:
    http://www.replacement-windows.com/windowbb/index.php
    Base on the information I found there, I compiled a checklist of items...type of glass, spacer, etc. That helped me when I was window shopping. Good luck.

• view_west
    16 years ago

If you are enjoying the research part it sounds like you are asking the right questions. Keep in mind a person could write several engineering PhD theses on the topic.

To KIS (Keep it Simple) and just get on with it, you won't go wrong with either Marvin or Loewen. They are both reputable companies who use the latest technology. JMHO as a happy Marvin customer.

-VW

• motherof3
    16 years ago

Do you think your inside remodel will change the location and/or size of any windows (like a bigger window over the kitchen sink)? We need to change all of our windows too (all original 1974 windows), but we will be doing it in phases as we remodel since I know we will be making changes.

What is your current siding? I have heard wonderful things about hardi-plank. Changing our siding is on my wish list, but I doubt we will ever do it. I don't think it would make $$ sense for us. We currently have wood shingles, but I love the clean smooth look of seamless wood siding.

Good luck on your window search. My husband wants to go with the cheap home depot windows, but I'll be able to talk him out of it.

• brachl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Motherof3,
    We are actually doing a smaller window over the sink. Our current window is so big that our kitchen cabinets are only 11", which has been problematic for storing things. We will still have a nice-sized window, just not quite so big. We do not plan on changing the size of any other window. Our property backs up to wooded land owned by the University of North Carolina. They have no plans to develop it, so we are very fortunate.

Our current siding is no-name brand masonite-like siding. We thought it was masonite (it was a spec house, so we weren't sure, but it's what some folks in the construction business told us), so we applied to the masonite class action, but were turned down because we had "fake" masonite. UGH! Unfortunately, we did an addition before we knew we had fake masonite, or even that there was a problem with the siding, so we have a lot of it. We probably don't need to replace it all now, but everyone I have talked to has recommended that as long as we are doing it, we should just bite the bullet and do it all. So I guess we will.

View West,
    Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, the company we want to use for both the siding and the windows (which is owned by a good friend) does not sell either of the brands you recommend. My DH will call our friend to discuss options. We could use another window installer, but then we would lose the advantage of having the work done by someone we trust totally.

• view_west
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, the company we want to use for both the siding and the windows (which is owned by a good friend) does not sell either of the brands you recommend.

Oh, that is a shame, a good installer is critical. Good luck with your search.

-VW

• mike13
    16 years ago

I think the Anderson 400 Series offers good performance & a competitive price. Here is a link to their Double Hung Tilt window showing list price, size, U-factor, SHGC, & VT ratings.

http://www.andersonwindows.com/servlet/Satellite/AW/AWProduct/awProductDetail/AWProduct/1135095638566/1102951372825?tab=3-1&tableftnav=1102951372825&tabname=Performance

You could also check out Stock Building Supply's "internal" Portrait family of windows & see if they can match the specs of the Anderson 400 Series. If so, you'd most likely get a better price but not quite the quality.

M/W windows are also used quite a bit in this area.

You should also consider having housewrap installed since you are taking all the siding off. Since your house was built as a spec in 1987 I would almost bet they did not use either a housewrap like Tyvek or even felt paper.

• brachl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mike,
    Thanks so much for the info. I am more concerned with quality than price (although I don't want to be taken for a ride, either). This is our biggest investment, and we want to do it right (within reasonable budget constraints).

I hate to be dumb, but what is an "M/W window"?

Thanks also for the info on having the house "wrapped". Who does that - the person putting on the new siding?

• mike13
    16 years ago

MW Manufacturers is based out of Rocky Mount, VA and manufactures windows & doors. They sell through the regular building supply companies like Stock, The Contractor Yard, etc as well as Lowes.

The website is http://www.mwwindows.com/home.html.

Framers would typically wrap the house but in your case either the siding sub or the window sub could most likely do it.

• remodeler08
    16 years ago

The biggest issues we face in replacement windows: Price! Grids! Balance system! Manufacturer has never come up. Warranty has never been an issue. And, vinyl has been the way to go.

We recently replaced 18 windows in Spindale, NC at a cost of $5,400.00

Phillip
    www.ptcooper.com

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

I would use a fully aluminum clad wood window or a plastic clad one like the Andersen 400 Woodwright Insert but not the 400 TiltWash. I don't see how Andersen can claim that Flexicron paint is a cladding...a triumph of marketing jargon over commmon sense.

Here is a link that might be useful: Andersen Woodwright

• testike
    16 years ago

i would reccomend you to look windowsarea.com and then decide. Lots of useful information about different types of windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows Help