SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irishstjean

Affordable white kitchen - RTA?

irishstjean
15 years ago

Google led me to a goldmine here! I have learned much from reading along these threads and many of my questions have been answered along the way, but I wondered if anyone has any suggestions for my particular situation.

I have a 1960's ranch in CT that is in need of kitchen remodeling and a few cosmetic changes. The current kitchen is L shaped and measures 13 x 15. The cabinets were built in place by a previous owner and stained a medium cherry color. We have replaced the ancient appliances with white ones but are wrestling with the idea of changing the cabinets. Due to the plummeting real estate values around us, we cannot justify or borrow for a full scale remodel and have considered painting the existing cabs (although they are partial overlay slab doors and we think they'd look cheesy with a white finish), new doors or refacing.

The real problem is that the cabinets are oddly sized and not effectively laid out at all. Removing any one of the cabinets (or the range hood, as we discovered in our attempt to replace with a microwave/hood combo) means literally cutting the unit into pieces. And so it seems that in order to fix any of the problems, we have to do the whole deal.

I have been wondering what the most cost effective way to replace the cabinets would be if what I'm looking for is a white finish (preferably painted) decent quality and a relatively simple layout. I've read about RTA cabinets but I'm leery, I've looked at the lower end choices at HD and been unimpressed, I've priced Kraftmaid units in a new larger configuration (14k for painted finish). I am planning on checking a few local lumberyards for their solutions.

As I intend these cabinets to stay a painted finish, can I get away with a cheaper wood? I am considering a shaker style, and after reading here I think I want frameless to maximize the storage. I am willing to use stock sizes and don't need much in custom accomodations, low ceilings will necessitate only 30 inch uppers which helps. I guess I'm just hoping Paulines is still hanging around and can steer me in the right direction with some tips. This process is overwhelming to say the least.

The other piece of the puzzle is that we hope to take down the wall between the kitchen and rarely used DR to open the flow and light. In an ideal world, we will be able to create a small breakfast bar facing the DR windows out of 18in deep cabs and a countertop. The floors are currently a hideous gray/brown lino that I optimistically believe may once have been white - we will add new vinyl floor for now. Current backsplash is cream tile and will have to be replaced. Countertops will be whatever fits the budget for now but we hope to upgrade to silestone at some point.

Any tips are more than appreciated, and I do have photos and drawings if requested.

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (28)