SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmfoodie

3 bids--help please in deciding!

lmfoodie
14 years ago

Hi--

We're planning a remodel that includes gutting a kitchen, moving a WC, tearing down a couple of interior walls, moving and enlarging two exterior doors (to a stone house), and adding a large stone patio. There will be extensive electrical, plumbing, masonry and HVAC work. I've gotten 3 bids from highly recommended contractors; all came out with their subs, got the same walk-through of the project from me and gave me itemized bids...but they were all itemized differently! One bid was ~$40K lower than the other two--I don't think he put much time into his estimate, nor did he seem to grasp the job's complexity.

I am really torn between the other two contractors, each of whom seems to understand the job well. I've seen both of their quality work in older home renovation. Contractor A's bid seems to be higher by ~$15K, but he and my architect have worked on projects together before and work well together. Contractor B also comes highly recommended, and his bid was far more detailed than contractor A's. He seems very eager to get the job.

I'm not even sure of the price differential in the bids because they are broken down so differently. How do I proceed????

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!

Comments (2)