SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkkristen

When to list? Possibly being transferred...

mkkristen
14 years ago

There is a distant possibility that DH is being transferred from the Chicago office to the Charlotte office. We should know something in the next couple of weeks, but I like to research and plan so figured I would get started. If we do get transferred, it will be on "our timeline" so to speak. Our plan would be to go down in the spring and narrow down neighborhoods. We would move sometime after school ends in mid June.

Our market isn't hot, but it isn't dead either. And I know every market is different, but I'm trying to decide when we would list our house. We are in the top school district in our town, the house is updated, and the few minor problems we have(cracked floor tiles, new baseboards, etc), we would fix before listing. If we were to list end of Jan/beginning of Feb, could we stipulate that we aren't going to be out until the end of June and close then? Will that kill a sale? I refuse to move more than once. We aren't going to play that game.

This transfer, if it happens at all, is very flexible--we wouldn't have to take a transfer at all, so if our house didn't sell, we simply would decline the transfer(with no repercussions on DH's career) So knowing all that, when would be the best time to list?

Also, it's been about 3 years since we bought the house and we did that by owner. What are realtors getting these days for commissions? For all I know, since we are probably still so close as far as equity in the house to what we owe, we might lose money on it.

Comments (10)