SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aussies_gw

To have molding or not to have molding ... 36'' vs 42'' uppers?

aussies
16 years ago

I know there used to be a thread about this topic, but now I can't seem to find it ...

We have 8ft ceilings and are trying to decide between these options;

- 36'' uppers with 6'' molding to the ceiling and 18'' gap to the countertop

- 42'' uppers with no molding and 18'' gap to countertop

- 42'' uppers with 2'' molding and 16'' gap to countertop

Which would look best??

Our cabinets will be full-overlay dark brown cherry in Shaker style. We will probably go with Kraftmaid and will not have the option of 39'' cabinets. Our kitchen is quite small (not quite 11' by 9'), but does not feel closed-in. The wall that the sink is on will not have any uppers at all.

FWIW we currently have 16'' gap between countertop and cabinets and functionally this works fine for us. We currently have 42'' uppers, but do not really use the top shelf. So in practical terms, added storage space vs countertop space is not an issue for us. My main concern is what will look best.

We plan to have a mostly light colored granite countertop with lots of movement (if I can ever find a granite I like in my part of the country LOL), and probably a fairly plain tile backsplash. We will have a range with an OTR microwave.

Which option do you think would look best? If you have one of these options, I would love to see pictures. Please include information on how tall your molding and/or gap is if possible, and whether you like it ...

TIA!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz