SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nik211

Please HELP! Maple Cabinets & White Subway Tile Backsplash

nik211
14 years ago

I'm hoping I could get some input :)

I currently have maple cabinets (medium color, not dark not light) in my kitchen and a Corian countertop (the color is Maiu - it is a grayish color with specks of brown/amber, cream and black). I have stainless steel appliances and oil rubbed bronze hardware on my cabinets (and the same on all the doors knobs/hinges in the house). The walls in the kitchen are painted Benjamin Moore Ladyfinger. I have a black table and chairs.

We *might* have money to upgrade the countertop. I would love a black granite but I'm not quite sure if it is in the budget and how easy it would be to keep clean (since I like Absolute Black and hear it shows every mark). If we keep the Corian I am going to have it professionally re-surfaced because there are tons of scratches & gouges from the previous owners :(

In any case, we are going to need a backsplash. I've always envisioned white subway tile with white grout but I'm not sure if it will look too stark next to my cabinetry? I love the look of white subway tile paired with black granite - but if we keep the Corian I'm having a hard time picturing white subway tile (or any tile!) in the kitchen. I think a white backsplash would help brighten up the kitchen (it's in the middle of the house and there is no direct window) but I also have a fear of it looking too bright. All the inspiration photos I find are of white cabinetry and white tile - I haven't found any good photos of my color cabinets with white.

My husband and I also like glass tiles - in the amber family - something with yellow, red, brown, black - but I'm not sure if that would be too busy in our kitchen (especially if we keep the Corian)?? Plus, I am a little afraid of doing something that is too trendy - I think I'd prefer something more timeless.

If someone can please tell me how to post photos I can share my kitchen with you. I'd really appreciate any ideas, advice, input. We've done a lot in the kitchen (appliances, paint, hardware, accessories) and the backsplash is the last piece :)

Thanks!!

Comments (8)