SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

How to paint this weird room - XPOST

kpaquette
14 years ago

Hi guys, I posted this over on paint - but I hear nothing but crickets. ;-)

Hi all...I'm usually over at kitchens or home dec., but I thought I'd pick the brains of you paint professionals for this one...

We are nearing the end of a total reno of our 1850s vicky. This week I have been working on painting the mudroom, which was a 1970s addition.

We replaced the previous owner's peg board with beadboard (MUCH better LOL) and I was all set to paint it either satin or semi-gloss - except one problem.

The original clapboards are one one side of the mudroom, with the beadboard on the other. There is one section of beadboard (previously peg board) right in the middle of the clapboards - which is covering a previously ghosted window. (looks weird but i'm choosing to call it character haha.)

I had planned on painting the clapboards with flat or MAYBE eggshell paint, since they are old and pretty bumpy, even after my feeble attempts at prepping them. Originally I was going to paint the clapboards the house body color, with the beadboard white. But because of this beadboard panel right in the middle, I was told by everyone this side should also be white. So the whole thing will be white, but with a blue ceiling.

Would it look odd if I painted just the clapboard side in say, eggshell, but the beadboard sides in satin or semigloss? Or do they need to be the same sheen - and if so, then what? I really think beadboard needs at least a satin. Or do I just go with the imperfections and paint the clapboards satin or semigloss?

I have a gallon of semigloss here - it's the trim paint for our entire house. Would be nice if I could use it...

I apologize for these pics - taken with my phone - and the room is so narrow it's hard to capture the entire clapboard wall with the beadboard in between.

Comments (4)