SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clarettekim

Help - Neighbor's addition (cross-post w/ Building a Home forum)

clarettekim
9 years ago

Help, I could really use everyone's advice. I live on a block with older (circa 1940-50) two-story colonial style homes, as well as a few smaller ranches. My neighbors would like to build a third story (see the pic, which shows the existing roof vs. the new roof). Their house is less than 7 feet from our shared property line (which is less than the required amount by code), which means they will have to go to the Zoning Board for a special approval.

I am concerned about their addition for several reasons. First, by raising their roof by 6-7 feet, and then adding a tall back dormer running the length of their house they will be significantly obstructing our current views and light. Second, I'm concerned about my property (including 2 mature trees) being trespassed and damaged during construction. Third, the house will look out of character with the rest of the neighborhood, which currently has 1 and 2 story homes. It will tower above our and the other adjacent neighbor's houses. Finally, my neighbor has refused to consider other reasonable expansion options, such as finishing their existing basement, adding a second story to their existing single story side room, or expanding one or two stories into the rear of their home.

We are the closest neighbor by distance and would thus be most affected. I've been advised that the Board does not like to see opposition from neighbors, but there does not seem to be any guarantee that a neighbor must approve in order for the Board to grant the request.

If I object, then my neighbors will of course hold it against me. The Board could still possibly grant the request over my objection. If that occurred, then I can be sure my neighbor will not respect my requests that their construction crew keep off my property and not damage my trees.

If I do not object, then I will at least hopefully get some of their cooperation with respecting my property during the construction. Unfortunately, these neighbors routinely cross on my property and have hacked at my border shrubs without my permission and any commitments they make now (when they would like my cooperation) will likely be worth very little to me after they get what they want. Moreover, I will forever despise looking out my four windows that face their property and seeing obstructed views and receiving less light.

Generally, I am all in favor of people trying to improve their properties, but in this case I believe it would harm my own property. I feel as if I need to at least voice my opinion and try to protect my property value.

What would you do?

Comments (25)