SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnbobbi

Steel garage entrance door-replace or reuse?

mnbobbi
15 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen, and as part of that we installed hardwood floors throughout kitchen, front hall and mudroom. I realized just before installation that we would run into a problem with raising the floor height 3/4" at the entrance to the garage from the mudroom. The door currently opens, but there is not enough clearance for a rug. Other doors are all ok since the hardwood replaced ceramic tile in all rooms but this one.

As I was about to order a new door, our lumber yard said they could instead cut this one down. It's 20 years old so definitely needs new paint, but other than that is ok.

Should we just replace it or reuse it? My reluctance is more to do with thinking that replacing it is in turn going to require sheetrock repair in the (newly painted) mudroom. My painter/sheetrock guy is already suggesting he put up a mail box out front since he's here so much, as one thing keeps leading to another!

Also would prefer to avoid one more landfill contribution if possible, but don't want to regret not doing it right. I could apparently order a door that is a less than the 80" standard height, thereby raising it enough that I would have enough room for the rug.

Any suggestions? Would repainting this door be very difficult, as other posts suggest? Thanks!

Comments (3)