SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashgirl_gw

Does this art go well with the room? - pics

ashgirl
11 years ago

Hello all, I'm working on our FR and I've been looking at an art set on Overstock, for the wall along the stairs. The colors seem to go well with the room, but wasn't 100% sure, what do you guys think? I'm open for other suggestions. I thought about doing a gallery wall but I decided against it. My camera makes the far things look even more far and small, so those objects on the mantle etc are not so small in real. TIA.

Here is the art

{{!gwi}}

Here are the room pics

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Old pic of the stairs - The 3 frames from the set will replace the small frames that are on the wall.

Comments (45)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I think part of the appeal of those paintings is the white form that runs through the center of all three of them. I think if you remove them from the pictured orientation -- stagger them up the stairs -- you might not get the effect you are wanting.

I don't envy those of you with these large walls -- too hard to figure out how to decorate them!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I personally don't like that type of art, I like more individual pieces grouped together.

But if you're not sure, then I wouldn't get it. Art, pictures, prints, they have to speak to me immediately.

• Related Discussions

Help with art work, please!! Pics included.

Q

Comments (13)
    You could use a much shorter lamp there to get rid of it blocking the view. However, it seems like a piece of art centered on that wall might not work......... that wall is basically the dividing line between two different rooms, right? (Yes, it's a great room... but the way the furniture is.... it just seems divided.) I would be confused about what to put up for that reason alone.... :) Personally, I would do a grouping of mirrors.... Something hung like these "Garden District" mirrors from Ballard: I'm not sure if the dimensions on these particular ones are right for your space, but I think something similar could work and look very nice.
    ...See More

Would this art work in my living room?

Q

Comments (18)
    The wall color is SW Ramie. The chair was my grandmothers, and it is just sort of a placeholder right now. I have been searching for new chairs. I would really like to get 2 chairs, but I am unsure how to arrange everything. I would also like to get a new rug--I've been coveting a real hand-knotted forever. The current rug is very nice, 100% wool Couristan machine woven. It is in the same line as My3dog's lovely living room rug. They have been selling this line of rugs in the last year at Tuesday morning for less than half price. It doesn't come off quite as pale in person. I want to eventually move it into my bedroom, where it will be perfect. Does anyone have recommendations for a rug? What color scheme? I really like some of the orientals that are a bit more modern without a really tight or busy pattern. Something maybe like this: This rug is from Williams Sonoma home, and is way out of my price range at over $2K. Is it possible to get a hand-knotted for around $1K? I need at least an 8x10.
    ...See More

Where does the artwork go?

Q

Comments (7)
    More info would be helpful. Pix if you have them though I agree it sounds like art above the towel bar would work. If the towel bar is too high it may not look right unless the art is wider than tall. Over the toilet is also a good place for art unless you have a hubby that leans against that wall at night with one hand holding himself from falling over. I know TMI, but I had to explain why it's not always a good place for art.
    ...See More

The art consultant sent me a proposal for art in my living room! WDYT?

Q

Comments (65)
    This OP has posted several dilemmas lately. I started reading this one from the onset and yes, there are several of the more critical posts missing. She clearly was happy about the selections and appeared to want validation from the people that had helped her with her other dilemmas. One of the first comments on my first dilemma on here was devastating to me and left me very upset. Fortunately, I have a thick skin and just flagged it and then along came some wonderful people to help me. Sometimes certain contributors just go too far. I’ve seen many OPs run off from this forum, but this is the first I’ve seen someone completely delete their account. THINK before you comment people! You could make or break someone’s day with your words
    ...See More
  • blfenton
    11 years ago

My opinion - I don't think that they would work as a stagger up the stairs. The other problem that I see is that they will be a very strong presence in any room. Your room has a lot of little things with nothing large enough or strong enough in colour to balance the artwork. For example:If you had a long enough wall for the artwork, changing out your curtains to a solid strong colour would help to balance.

• ashgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you responding.

Jakabedy - I agree, its such a pain to do something with that wall.
    Oakleyok - Its been so hard to find 3/4 different but cordinating peices from color/size perspective.
    blfenton - the current drapes are temporary, I will be getting new ones in couple of months.

If you all have any other suggestions please share.

Thanks

• avesmor
    11 years ago

I wouldn't stagger that particular collection, I agree about the white stripe. You don't want it visually broken up.

Do you like the art? It seems a little "out there" compared to everything else I see in the picture, all of which is quite sedate. I think your eyes would constantly get pulled to the stairway wall. Ok if you LOVE it and want to always see it. Not so great if it's something you're buying because it's large and fits existing colors (I'm not sure it does, though - the only thing I see similar is maybe that table lamp... def not furnishings or WTs).

I picture those pieces in a stark, chromed room with lots of glass and spot lighting...

Have you checked art.com? They have a huge selection, and you can search by size.

• chispa
    11 years ago

My suggestion is to move the tv ... but that was another post.

Art doesn't have to go with a room. If the art "speaks to you" then it will work.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

You have a lovely home but I don't envy those tall, tall walls.
    I think part of the problem is the wall color itself. If you had a richer deeper color,maybe even with a texture you could just leave the walls bare.
    Since it is a stairway, why not groupings of family photos?You would need to research how to do this and what type of frames to get, how to group and how large. I know that I have seen people on this forum with lots of art on their walls so maybe they can give you direction on this.
    Any way you can "steal" an idea from a neighbor with a similar layout? Sometimes we don't necesarily have to reinvent the wheel.
    I understand what chispa is saying. Real art collectors collect art that is meaningful to them. But, they usually have homes with very neutral palettes so that the art is the star. Most of us do not live this way and want things to somewhat coordinate.

• User
    11 years ago

I don't envy those of you with these large walls -- too hard to figure out how to decorate them!

Thank you for saying that Jakabedy!!!

I've been struggling with a 23 foot long wall that is essentially a blank canvas in our living room and have never been able to figure out what the heck am I supposed to do with it!!!

Ashgirl, I hope once you get the room finished you will post a pic. I'm curious to see what you end up doing. :c)

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

Triptych art - three sequential paintings - can certainly be broken up or staggered. It just depends on the effect you want. Speaking personally and honestly though, I find those paintiings to be aggressive, almost disturbing. So I wouldn't hang them in a house as gently decorated as yours is. They will pull everyone's eye to them because they demand attention. But IMO your idea of very large staggered paintings is a good solution to that space.

The link below is to a site that has a lot of triptych art. And you can google "triptych art" for other selections. You might look for something that is more gentle and easy on the eyes, in keeping with the mood that is already in your house, but that is large enough to make a statement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some other triptych examples

• jenniferPA
    11 years ago

Just wanted to tell you I share your frustration with trying to decorate a high ceiling great room, I think ours are 22 ft? I sat and stared at these walls for so long, and read up on a lot of decorating ideas for the 2 story room. I decided to take a chance and hang curtain rods and draperies at a spot where it made sense to sort of visually cut off the room, and it gives the room a more manageable/comfortable feel to me. Someone on this forum described it as decorating the living space and ignoring the space above, if that makes sense. I am happy with it. You could pick an imaginary line wherever makes sense in your room, and just decorate below it. Possibly the height of the corner above/behind the TV?

• User
    11 years ago

I know this will sound really strange but what if you wrapped them. Two on the wall above the plant then wrap the third onto the stair wall. The top of the paintings would have to be level with the mirror for it to work. This would create a false ceiling effect then you could treat the upper stair well as a separate room.

As for the paintings the lines go well with the grouping behind the couch.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I agree that creating a waterline around a room with a very tall ceiling is one way of dealing with the height...decorate below the waterline and ignore what's above.

When it comes to large art, you can use stretcher frames and fabric to create the art for not a lot of money.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I also like the art, and I agree that a bolder color on the bottom color of the walls would really showcase the art and your beautiful room.

• User
    11 years ago

I don't think the art itself, regardless of how it is hung, goes with anything else you have in the room.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I don't think those three pictures are enough to put in that large space.

• ashgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ellendi - I'm not a fan of the wall color either but just living with it for now since we already painted it twice and missed the mark both times. Eventually I plan to repaint the room and this time I'm thinking of some fun/flowery type yellow and sage green for the drapes. A couple of my neighbors who have that type of wall have left it blank(not that they were done with decorating either) but in any case that blank wall makes feel like I'm at the bottom of Grand Canyon :)

lukkiirish - I've looked at some of the pics of your home and have always felt that you are so good at this stuff, now if you have not been able to figure out, then I'm losing hope.

sable_ca - Thank you so much for the link, will have to spend some time there.

Jennifer - Do you have pics of your wall? If so can you please post them. Thanks.

My idea was to hang large art along the wall and ignore the rest of the wall. Here are the pics I took yes'day. The paper cuttings are the exact size of the overstock art above. What do you guys think now about the size?

TIA

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And this is the other side of the brown sofa
    {{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I also think the "water line" is your best bet. It will keep the eye from wandering to the open space above the pictures.

Luk, I have a similar wall but it has beadboard under it. Start in the middle of the wall above furniture and expand from there.

• ricksample
    11 years ago

I'm going to say no only because your space has a lot of white in it. It may match a little better if you had brown curtains or something else to pull from that piece of art.

• Alittleapple
    11 years ago

In my opinon, the pictures are very abstract.Maybe you can try some simple art,such as flowers or sceney to make a relaxed atmosphere.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I was at a music theatre the other day and noticed the art they had on the wall by the risers....the tops were lined up and level, but the bottoms were angled to match the rise in the steps...it was abstract art and very interesting. Actually they were probably fabric panels to help with the acoustics.

• hlove
    11 years ago

What about something like this (from Houzz)? But probably in a smaller scale, since it's not serving as the backdrop to anything in your space. The focus is more on the landing than the actual staircase wall:

[Contemporary Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Vancouver Interior Designer Maria Killam

Of course, there's always this (also from Houzz)... ;)

[Contemporary Staircase design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-staircase-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_745~s_2103) by Phoenix General Contractor Grizzly Iron, Inc

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

hlove is on thr right track with the first inspiration she posted. Fill that entire wall with several substantial size pictures.

Also - anything else you replace in the room - go larger, i.e. plants, lamps, etc. You have a nice large space, with a lot of smaller objects.

• User
    11 years ago

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but a triptych is not meant to be staggered.

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

Ashgirl - Now that you've hung "mock"paintings in place, it looks like you've chosen just the right size for the stairwell. I took another look at your selection, and IMO they would bring drama and interest even when viewed from a distance, and your room could handle that well. Also want to retract my comment about their looking aggressive; I should have taken a longer look at them. Whatever theme you decide on, you have nailed the size and shape (IMO).

Triptyches are indeed painted to be viewed linear-ly, but a person can do with her own paintings whatever she likes. One of the most famous triptych works ever painted - The Battle of San Romano, by Paolo Uccello, 15th century - has one panel in the National Gallery, London, one panel in the Louvre, Paris, and the third panel in the Uffizi, Florence!

Hlove - those musicians going up the stairs are wonderful, very witty!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I made a grouping of pics similar to the inspiration pic posted by hlove. Very cost effective solution to filling a large space with art.

I took a bunch of vacation shots i've taken and had them enlarged and printed in B&W at Fed Ex Kinko's for $5 each. I ordered the frames with glass and mats for only $10 each from walmart. The mats look like a double mat, but are not. They were ivory, and I wanted white, so I painted them with acrylic paints. So for $15 each, I got framed art to fill the space, and it's a real conversation piece as people try to figure out where they were taken.

• User
    11 years ago

"Triptyches are indeed painted to be viewed linear-ly, but a person can do with her own paintings whatever she likes. One of the most famous triptych works ever painted - The Battle of San Romano, by Paolo Uccello, 15th century - has one panel in the National Gallery, London, one panel in the Louvre, Paris, and the third panel in the Uffizi, Florence!"

Perfect-- now all she needs to do is to hang one and give the other two away.

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

ashgirl, what size are the panels? I have a similar stair area.

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

Kswl - Good one! : > )

• ashgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hlove - love the musicians. Thanks for the ideas, very interesting.

Annie-I dont want to do groupings, small peices are not too visible on that wall and also its just too much work to maintain so many frames.

kswl - that was funny!

bethohio3 - those are 24x36 inches.

sable_ca - I was hoping that they would bring some drama too, but when so many of you thought that they wouldn't work I dropped the idea and ordered the below which are 4" shorter in size. I plan to return them if they dont work, but wanted to hang and live with them for couple of days. These were on overstock as well, but ordered from walmart for the ease of returns.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Art-Tu-Miranda-Canvas-Art-by-Dieguez-24x32/19724065
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Art-Me-Enamoro-Canvas-Art-by-Dieguez-24x32/19724067
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Art-Besame-Canvas-Art-by-Dieguez-24x32/19724068
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Art-Tocame-el-Corazon-Canvas-Art-by-Dieguez-24x32/19724062

• ashgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the latest pic with the new paintings. I can live with those, what do you think ?

{{!gwi}}

• graywings123
    11 years ago

The size is maybe OK, I would like them to be taller. They are probably good enough for what you are trying to accomplish, which is to fill a wall. On the other hand, "I can live with those" does not sound like a ringing endorsement.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

It certainly is difficult to do any area with large walls and height such as your room has. To be blunt, since you are strugging so with the stairs, I think you are concentrating on the wrong thing. I'd seriously work on the room first which I think is where you began asking questions on another thread? Can't remember all the details, but I know that the placement of the very large tv dwarfing and crowding the fireplace was a problem then and IMO still is. You have very small pictures and accessories in your room and I don't think anything is going to work for you until you seriously address these issues and work with filling those room walls first. I'd start with paint in a great color, decorate you room and its walls with larger colorful art, lamps, and plants and worry about the stairs way down the road.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

Not trying to be hurtful, but I think I could handle only one of those prints. I love all kinds of art, but four of those in a row is way too much. Have you considered something a little taller, like graywings suggested? I also agree that the statement "I can live with those" makes it sound like you're not sold on the art.

Maybe try for two taller pieces in the center (or one print above the other for the same effect), then you can have a shorter (or single) piece on either side. Maybe you could try that layout with your newspaper template and see if you like it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'll be more blunt than bleigh...I don't like them. And it sounds like you aren't sold on them either. Art is something that should be meaningful to you and give you pleasure. I think you are trying too hard. Relax, focus on other things and it will happen. A plain wall by the staircase is not the worst thing. Then when you least expect it, you'll find it or the inspiration for it and you'll be happy.

• rosie
    11 years ago

I also feel that adding excitement to that space way up there would be a mistake. It would draw attention out of your main living area, which is where the excitement should be, and up the stairs to thoughts of the private spaces up there. Very unsatisfying as the eye can't continue and the thoughts should not. Potentially hard on the neck too.

How about art that blends with the wall color and perhaps adds some texture, to kill the emptiness you don't like without grabbing attention away from the party? Bright lively art could be very nice down where the people are.

Like the illustration Hlove posted: The bold art display is kept IN the living area, while the art continuing the idea across the wall as the stairs climb is similar in style but smaller and notably quieter. Meant only to act as a graceful finish to the main feature.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"I can live with those, what do you think ? "

The correct comment would be "I can't live without these!" You should LOVE your art - and it should bring a smile to your face.

I am not liking those pieces on that wall either.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I'm with AnnieDeighnaugh - I don't like them either, and I'm certainly no stranger to bold, "different" art. I think they're very jarring and do nothing to complement your space. It seems obvious that you aren't in love with them either. I agree with Annie too, in that art should be meaningful or at least delight you in some way. These pieces do nothing more than fill the space, and not in a good way. I hope I don't sound too harsh ... I'm just really not liking these pieces at all though.

• User
    11 years ago

Sorry but not too keen on those pics either. I loved the first ones they had an African feel to them, without being Africa, which mimicked the Giraffe behind your couch. Its really too bad you are sold on the angling pics down the stairs drawing your eye away from your room. However saying that if you really like them you are the one that is living with them our opinions shouldn't matter. We don't live there you do.

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

If you love them, then the rest of the room would evolve from them. Is that what you want? They wouldn't be my first choice, but I could see building a room they would fit into, if that is what you're looking for.

• cottagecindy
    11 years ago

I know this sounds strange -- but my husband's old apt in NY had a ridiculously tall staircase upon entering, and I mean long and tall-about 2 floors or close. It had a glass window on the door at the bottom. anyway..... It was blank boring etc. One day I asked him what does he really like and would be a dream to put on the walls.... so while he was gone, I bled out my savings and bought movie posters and had them framed, they were 2 high and stair stepped up like the stairs.

yes, it was an unusual entry, but he was overjoyed, everyone commented on it, it really looked good (his place was uber guy cave (black leather, big tv...) modern.

but what I'm trying to say is try thinking of what you'd like more than anything-me I'd have animal photos of my pets lol, and the stair step approach and closer together (those 3 on your staircase look like miles apart to me)

my friend in hawaii has a few colorful quilts up her staircase --looks great in the islands, just an idea.....

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I think painting that wall behind the staircase a darker color would help a lot. You could also do a blend where the paint would be darker at the top and gradually lighten as it went toward the bottom of the wall. Good luck!!

• User
    11 years ago

In current incarnation pictured above, the pictures are hung too low. Clearly, the goal is to minimize the vast blank space of that wall. However, by hanging the pictures so close to bannister level (in an attempt to "ground" the staircase?) the art serves only to emphasize the blankness of the rest of the wall. The effect is sort of like hanging a few family photos on the stone wall of a castle great hall to humanize and personalize it.

If you want to use the current choices, raise them all at least 10-12 inches and get them off that rail (visually).

I agree you've damned them with faint praise, and also agree that you should have art in your home that you really like. I also understand the desire to fill up a huge blank spot. But in this case I would advise you to spend that money on some solution for that busy corner of fireplace / mantel / windows / etc.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

I don't know why, but this thread has been on my mind ever since I saw that art. Guess those prints left an impact. Just had to come back and read more.

After going back to an older thread, I see that the furniture placement is an issue. The tv in the corner does look off and it would look much better back on the staircase wall. I did read that TV viewing is important to you while in the kitchen, but you can always just listen to it or get a small tv for the kitchen wall :) . As your room is now it's decorated on the perimeter and I'm sure you could get some great ideas about furniture placement from the good folks here. Maybe you can take a picture of your room from upstairs. Maybe it's just me, but until the room is situated correctly no amount of accessorizing is going to make it feel/look finished.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

If you decide to keep these, have you tried arranging them in a rectangle? Move the second painting from the bottom a bit higher (and maybe to the right). Use that one as the bottom right corner of a 2 x 2 rectangle with the paintings mounted fairly close to each other. I like the way the photo in hlove's post above uses a vertical rectangle of art near the base of the stairs. It seems to balance the emptiness of the wall. This could be achieved with a few large pieces rather than a mass of smaller ones. You could then also do some smaller groupings on the way up the stairs if you wished, maybe incorporating baskets or other objects.

• ashgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your honest opinions about the art. I know I said that I can live with them, but every time you guys said that they dont work, I went back and looked at them and felt that they are not that bad and infact liking them. They probably are growing on to me. I dont know! I will play around with the positioning and make a final decision.

I know that its not the ideal spot for the TV, but its working well for the family (utility/functionality wise). I dont live in the house to decorate it, but I'm decorating it because I live in the house so utility/function comes first. For many years TV was at the stairs wall, I got bored of that set up and we also figured some problems with that spot so TV will be at that corner until we get bored again and start finding problems with it.