SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamgypsy_gw

New addition questions

tamgypsy
17 years ago

Hi everyone...I have been reading these boards for a while but this is the first time I am posting. I am in the planning stages of adding a 18' x 18' family room addition to the left side of my colonial (off the diningroom). I am currently getting rough estimates from contractors and the plan includes the following. 18' x 18' one story addition on a crawlspace with cathedral ceiling, one walkout bay window, one sliding glassdoor, 2 smaller windows, vent free gas fireplace build into the room with cultured stone and hearth, carpeted, recessed lighting.

Rough estimates have come in between $45K and $50K. I am in Western NY.

A problem for heating and cooling has come up. According to one contractor my current high efficiency furnace has 5 runs off of it and is maxed out. Now I know I could use the fireplace as a main heating source, but I am concerned about not having AC in this room and I really don't want to use window units. If I only use the fireplace as a heating source will that effect my resell value some day? What other options would I have? Any other options for AC out there that are affordable?

Another issue seems to be that my Electrical being located on the opposite side of the house in the garage and I may have to go from 150 Amp to 200 Amp sercice. Any idea how much upgrading to 200 Amp will cost? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I included enough info in this post.

Comments (3)