SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crampon

How to: substrate / subtop for stainless steel countertop?

crampon
12 years ago

I found out this weekend that due to a misunderstanding with our sheet metal guy, I actually need to provide the subtop for our stainless counters. I have a general idea of what to do, but I'm uncertain about some specifics -- in particular whether / how to allow for expansion / contraction. Can anyone provide pointers?

We have an L-shaped counter. The subtop needs to be 1.5" for our finished counter to be the right height, so I'm planning 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. Not sure if it should be 2 solid sheets, or one solid sheet with spacers / furring strips on top, but I'm assuming that 2 solid sheets will provide better sound dampening, so likely to go that way.

The counter is too big to cut out of a single sheet of plywood, so there will be joints.

Questions: do I need to allow for expansion when anchoring the subtop to the base cabinets? That is, should I do something like this?

-Do I need to think about expansion when aligning the cut pieces on each side of a joint (i.e., should I leave some room for expansion / contraction?

-Should the 2 layers be glued or screwed to each other, or just "floating", with the top layer screwed to the cabinets as in the link above?

Thanks!

Comments (2)