SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moneypenny_gw

Construction arbitration for poor inspection?

moneypenny
16 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this, but I'll give it a try. The very short story is that, when we purchased a home in April, the home inspector failed to note the addition of dozens of new 2x4s added to the rafters in the attic. These were easily visible from the attic hatch (so he didn't have to enter the attic to see them) and were clustered in the valleys of the roof. The roof was snowcovered at the time, so no sagging was apparent from the outside at time of inspection. From the little bit of the roof we could see at the time, we could knew it needed to be reshingled and we considered that in our offer price. Once we moved in, the snow melted and we could get up in the attic ourselves, the structural issue became apparent. We are looking at an additional $4500 of structural repairs.

Had the inspector noted the addition of structural support in the attic, we would have called in our engineer to take a look and reduced our offer price accordingly. We have filed a complaint with the BBB and are getting nowhere. Upon calling the home inspector licensing agency they suggested we go through construction arbitration. I'm willing to do that, but the minimum cost to us is at least $1,350 and there is no guarantee that the arbitor's decision will go in our favor. Of course, DH and I think we are clearly in the right, but I may need a reality check.

Has anyone gone through the construction arbitration process and, if so, what are your thoughts on this? Thank you so much!

Comments (29)