SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam_ny

Tile backsplash question - would this look weird?

sam_ny
12 years ago

Hello,

I'm about to install a backsplash using 3x6 white subway tile in the kitchen and ran into a snag that I'm hoping to get help with.

Until a week ago, the sides of the kitchen counter, base cabinet, and upper cabinet were aligned, ending about 1.25" shy of an outside corner where the kitchen opens up. However, when my contractor put in a new butcher block counter, he gave the new counter a little overhang, so it now goes all the way to the end of the wall (to the corner). It looks nicer, but unlike before, the edge of the counter no longer aligns with the upper cabinets.

My plan WAS to just have the subway tile end at the imaginary line between the counter edge and the upper cabinet. But now that the counter and upper end in different places, I'm not sure what to do. I've read enough "where do I end the backsplash" threads here to know there are two schools of thought on this, but I guess I'd rather have the backsplash go all the way to the counter (i.e. all the way to where the corner turns).

Here's my concern: If I do it that way, the backsplash will extend ~1.25" past the upper cabinets. Will that look weird, like it's a mistake? Does it matter that the unfinished edge of the tile will show on the top?

I did have this idea: install a few pieces of 2x8" bullnose tile vertically at this end of the backsplash (like trim), so it lines up with the counter. Extend this trim an inch or so up past the bottom of the upper cabinet, cutting out a portion of the tile so it'll fit up that little 1.25" strip of wall. Then put a 2x2 bullnose corner tile (the type with two adjacent rounded edges), also cut to fit in on strip of wall, so that the tile is finished on the exposed vertical and horizontal edges. The hoped-for effect would be that the upper cabinets would look like they sort of nest into the backplash.

If you can imagine this, what do you think? I'm new to tiling so I just don't know. If you can't imagine it, let me know and maybe I can post a picture or something.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond!

Sam

Comments (5)