SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

questions to ask a contractor

scrappy25
13 years ago

I finally finished construction documents on my addition and spent 1-2 hours with each contractor invited to bid. I hastily put together a list of questions that morning and would ask them to go through it after they reviewed the plans and the house. They were all little surprised but took it in good stride. They were most surprised by the question asking about a lien release from subcontractors, but all agreed to it if I wanted it. It took about 15 minutes to go through the questions.I'll list them here if anyone else is looking.

Contractor questions

BUSINESS

1. Copy of state license

2. workmans comp coverage or certificate of exemption

3. property damage and liability coverage certificate

4. are you a member of NARI or NAHB, or other professional organization?

5. Have you ever declared bankruptcy? If so, when?

6. Have you had any legal actions against you?

7. Have you had any disciplinary actions against you?

8. Have you had any permits transferred out of your name to another contractor?

9. Have you ever taken legal action against anyone?

10. Have you ever created a lien against a property?

11. What is your business name and how long have you been in business under this name?

12. What other business names have you worked in construction under? For what duration?

13. What is your business address?

Is this a home based office?

14. What is your email address? How often do you check email?

15. Please list phone numbers and preferred contact method. A) before construction B) during construction

16. Please list and describe your last 3 projects including your current one. Are those owners available for references?

17. Please list 2 projects of similar scope to ours if not listed in 16 above. Again, possible references?

18. Who are your top 3 material suppliers?

SUPERVISION

1. How many direct fulltime employees do you have? Part time employees?

2. Do you use a work crew? Which parts do you use subcontractors for? Are your subcontractors licensed?

3. How long has your work crew or subcontractors been working for you?

4. Do you do background checks on your workers?

5. Who supervises the project, and what percentage of the time will that person be on site?

6. Will you provide lien releases or waivers from the subcontractors prior to payment?

7. Will you or the supervisor be going on vacation during the duration of the project? If so, who will supervise in your place?

8. How many concurrent jobs might you be holding?

9. How many outstanding bids for that time period?

10. How do you approach problems with workers, materials, workmanship?

11. What are your suggestions for keeping the kids safe? What safety precautions do you take?

12. How do you approach cleaning the job site at the end of the day and at the end of each stage of work? Who pays for the final cleanup?

13. How do you deal with collateral damage?

SCHEDULE1. We are estimating either a xxx or xxx start. Do either or both of those fit into your time frame, which do you prefer? What would be your estimated start and completion dates? When do you need the cabinets to be available for installation?

2. How do you deal with change orders?

3. How do you like to communicate with the homeowner, how often do you set up meetings?

4. What is your general payment schedule?

5. Do you provide or recommend a dumpster/portapotty? How is trash removal dealt with?

6. What do you do when the owner is on vacation?

WARRANTIES

1. How do you warrant your work?

OTHER

1. Can you describe a situation that the customer wasnt happy and if/how you resolved it?

2. Can you describe your ideal customer?

3. What is your worst experience?

4. What is your strongest point? What is your weakest point?

5. What question am I forgetting to ask?

Comments (3)