SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stretchad_gw

Do I need a general contractor??

stretchad
16 years ago

I'm updating my kitchen in the next few months, and have mostly hung out on the Kitchens board. I notice that there are a lot of people with kitchen designers and general contractors over there, and I was wondering, do I need one too? I'm trying to do this on a pretty tight budget, which is why I plan to DIY as much as possible. DH and I have not done major home remodeling, just basics like installing a new light, but are keen on research and are engineering/technical minded...All in all, we're trying to stick around the 15k-17k budget for the whole thing

Here's what we plan to do in the kitchen:

1 - Remove existing counters and cabinets

2 - Remove soffits above cabinets, and finish ceiling (using a drywall contractor for finishing)

3 - Remove drop ceiling that currently houses flourescent light fixture (use drywall contractor to repair the ceiling)

4 - Install recessed & pendant lights (using an electrician)

5 - Install new IKEA cabinets in essentially the same configuration as current (DIY)

6 - Install granite countertops (Using a granite fabricator)

7 - Install new sink, garbage disposal, and faucet (Granite fabricator for the under mount sink, we'll handle the garbage disposal and the faucet)

8 - Install gas line up to kitchen (using a plumber)

9 - Install new refrigerator, range, and perhaps dishwasher

10 - Subway tile backsplash (DIY)

11 - Paint (DIY)

I feel like I would primarily want the general contractor as a consultant really, so that I could go to them with questions (how do I do X? Which electrician/drywaller should I use?)...

What do you think? GC necessary or not?

Comments (4)