SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Photos of surface-mount sliding door installations

I would like to see pictures from anyone who has one: especially of the part where the door overlaps the doorframe. I want the door to slide into or against something; to make a positive close, rather than just stop to the point where I've pulled it. I'm thinking this needs a bit of framing work and some trim molding to make it look nice. But so far the contractors haven't seemed to understand what I want. If I could show them something it would be helpful. We will pull out the existing door frame molding, but not the jamb.

I'm planning on replacing a hinged interior door with a surface mounted sliding door (not a pocket door that goes into the wall). I first heard about these on these forums. Hardware (hanging track, etc.) is made by Johnson Hardware.

I have talked to 3 people so far about installing this. We need an exterior door installed too, so are tacking this smaller installation onto the job in the hopes of finding someone who is interested in doing the work. (So far no one has ever installed one: should I worry?) If it looks like it will be too costly for them to figure out, we may do this part ourselves. So advice on difficulty is welcome. We are handy at things like trimwork, mechanicals, but have no experience in any heavy construction.

Comment