SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donka_gw

Boo...have to get new wood floors. What looks good old house?

donka
15 years ago

My dream of refinishing the original Douglas Fir floors in my house has been squashed by the flooring people. The floors have been sanded so many times that the original top groove of the tongue and groove planks is so thin they can't redo them another time. The area of floor which has been refinished the most (my livingroom) is already showing signs of cracking where the groove is too thin.

I was hoping there was something miraculous they could do, but they said my options are 1. refinish them and I'd have huge pieces cracking and breaking off in no time, 2. sand 'em down and break off the pieces that are cracked, fill with a mix of something or other to fill in the huge missing spots and wait for those to crack because the grooves and floor are no longer stable, or 3. get new floors. I believe the first 2 options were posed mostly to get me to understand the ramifications :)

So, this will be going throughout the whole main floor of my house. What kind of wood works well in a kitchen, and looks appropriate for a 100 year old house? I looked into getting 'replacement' Douglas Fir and into 'distressed' flooring, but both of them are out of my price range ($14 a square foot, $7200 for just materials to do the area I need.) I can maybe afford $6 per square foot.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (8)