SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjcampo_gw

Help - attic finishing - insulation

pjcampo
14 years ago

Hello,

We are looking at actually re-doing the HVAC system (gas forced hot air) in the attic of our cape cod and while doing this I want to address future needs for finishing the walk up attic into living space.

My question is about the insulation. It gets very hot up there in the summer (up to 110F). The previous owner put R-19 in the rafters and R-13 between the studs. They left the attic fan, which make no sense to me (why insulate if you are leaving a gaping hole in the roof). I removed the attic fan. The windows are also old and very drafty, but will get replaced.

On the opposite side of things it does not get very cold there in the winter, maybe 55 at most and that is unconditioned, yet the HVAC system is insulated and sealed.

Since the HVAC system is already in the attic, conditioning the space is a given and the system is sized for this already.

I know it costs less to cool than to heat, but I am wondering if we should expect to have to rip out the R-19 and do spray foam insulation to get a higher R value. Will basic code require R-30 or higher in the rafters (in New Jersey)?

There is also really old insulation in the floor joists "separating" the downstairs from the attic. Should we pull this all up and discard, or is it sort of a moot , since it does so little?

What other concerns should we be addressing here?

Comments (3)