SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alku05

Uh-oh...Hafele trash pedal failing...Anyone ever deal w/Hafele se

alku05
15 years ago

One of our favourite kitchen gadgets appears to be failing after just two years of use. We have the silver Hafele pedal opener for our trash pullout and last night we noticed that we couldn't get it to stay closed. Today DH took it apart and we can see that some of the plastic has chipped, and that other areas appear about to fail as well.

Any other pedal users observing problems? Or does anyone know about Hafele's customer service? I'm going to be giving them a call tomorrow to see if they would be willing to replace just the failing parts of our opener kit, but I can't find any info on warranty or their service, so I was wondering what our chances of replacement might be.

Comments (10)

• User
    15 years ago

Slim............

• jaksopcam
    15 years ago

Keep us posted. I'd also be curious to hear from others that have had if for awhile if they are having any problems.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We haven't installed ours yet, but we have the brown pedal. Keep us posted! [My DH is resisting b/c you have to disengage the soft-close & he loves the soft-close!]

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Did you buy it directly from Hafele or from someone else? You might try contacting the site you purchased it from...they might have better luck than you in getting replacement parts.

• alku05
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buehl, I bought from trashcansandmore.com. I'm going to try Hafele first, and then the retailer, just because it's been so long. Even if they won't send a new part free of charge, I'm hoping they can sell me just the part I need so that I don't have to buy a whole new kit.

DH currently has the pedal working for now because he McGyvered it back together with dental floss. I kid you not.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I have the Hafele pedal and every once in a while it won't stay closed. This used to happen more frequently when I first installed it but now only happens once in a great while. What I've found is that the reason it won't stay closed is because the magnet isn't making good contact with the steel plate. I have to just scoot the magnet which is attached to the underside of the cabinet up a fraction of an inch. I think as I kick the pedal sometimes, the magnet can sort of get kicked back. For some reason I'm not able to tighten the screws which attach it to the cabinet - probably need to get someone with some muscle to do it. But like I said, it happens so infrequently that it's just easier to scoot it forward with my hands.

I'm not sure if that is your problem, and I've never dealt with Hafele customer service so I can't help there. I've had my pedal for about 4.5 years and cannot live without it. I've gotten so used to it, I found myself trying to push an imaginary pedal in other spots in my kitchen!

As for the soft close, I have that on all my drawers as well, and it WOULD be cool to have it on the trash, but for me, it's MUCH cooler to have hands-free opening on the trash. There are so many times my hands are wet/dirty/grimy, etc. from handling food and the foot pedal is indispensable.

• alku05
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lowspark, I'm glad that you chimed in to let me know your pedal is fine.

We aren't having an adjustment problem, we have pieces that are actually broken/breaking, namely the black plastic bars that hold the magnets in the silver pedal. Of the two black plastic magnet holders, one is broken, and the other is failing in the same place.

You can see the aforementioned black magnet strips (as well as DH's dental floss repair to the bottom one) here:

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I'll be interested to hear what Hafele says/does. I hope they will stand behind their product!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Any updates?

• davetz
    14 years ago

Anyone know if you can install one of these on flush inset cabinet doors? And if not, is there any such device that would exist for such an installation? Thanks!