SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee__dee

GC discounts and allowances

dee__dee
14 years ago

I've been told by one tile store that if I buy the tile from them that I get the discount that the GC would get and that if the GC buys the tile, he would get the discount and NOT pass that on to us. We asked him directly and he said he would, and that he gets a very good discount, 25% from a particular store. He was firm that he order the tile himself, which was fine, but i got a weird vibe.

I had a hard time finding what I wanted in this store, but since natural stone is pricey, i was determined, and found something that worked.

When I spoke to the sales person there about how to order he said to just have the contractor call him.... and i got that odd vibe again. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but I got the feeling that they don't want me to have the information to calculate the cost out myself? Is there more discounting that isn't passed on? I understand the GC should be compensated for overseeing the job, but that is built into the entire project cost. Why all the(perceived) deception? Also, I kind of want to know what my additional cost is going to be.. over the allowance that was built into the contract.

Please, tell me I'm just paranoid...

TIA

dee

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert