SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suburbanjuls

Layout help, please give honest opinion

suburbanjuls
11 years ago

Hi all, I am a long time lurker and a first time poster. I am deep in the planing stages of a remodel to my builder basic 1995 suburban kitchen. I currently have blind corner cabinets and very yellowed maple cabinets and white ceramic tile counters. There is a 24 inch wall oven and built in microwave and a four burner gas cooktop. All appliances are white Whirlpool original to the house. I am not really changing the placement of appliances, at most moving about 12'' down.

My needs for this space are no more blind corners, lots of drawer bases, pull out trash, upgraded appliances with likely one pro item which would be a Rangetop, and causal seating for at least four. I also would like to incorporate my sewing desk somewhere in this space since it can't really go anywhere else in the house.

I currently have a 2' by 4' peninsula with a 9' overhang with 2 barstools on it. This is where my 2 children eat breakfast. In the adjacent nook I have a rectangular table with four chairs. There is a slider on the back wall of the nook that leads to the patio/garden area. The side wall of the kitchen backs up to the garage and I currently have a door leading in from the garage into the kitchen. The powder bath is set on the corner of the kitchen/garage wall and really can't go elsewhere. I also can't expand the current footprint of the kitchen due to lot restrictions.

What I want to do is get rid of the peninsula and move the entry door from the garage to be in between the powder bath and laundry room around the corner. This would give me a 10' by 10' U shaped kitchen instead of the 10' by 7' G shaped kitchen. We are working on getting a cost associated with moving the door and deciding if it is worth it. So far we think it is.

I have come up with the following design which would allow for a built in banquette and side tall cabinets inspired by a GW poster(Steph20011, I think). I currently have issues with the traffic flow with a free standing table in the nook because of the adjoining family room and the patio slider.

I think my design would work for me but my KD(who I am having issues with anyway but that's another post) thinks I should keep a free standing table and do a 42''-48'' round because the room may feel lopsided. I am sort of scared of losing the peninsula because it is a large work area but it currently has the phone, cookbook stand, stand mixer, Vitamix and if I want to use the whole space I have to clear it off. Not to mention the fact that there is always someone sitting at the barstools to eat or do homework, etc.

What I want to know is do you think it would feel lopsided to use the banquette, and if the cost comes back extremely higher than estimates for moving the garage entry door, do you think I should still do this plan except modify the fridge wall to keep the doorway as is? Is there something completely different that I should consider? Because of my issues with my KD I feel that I have only gotten his biased opinion. I really feel that he doesn't get how I use my kitchen and what I want out of it.

All advice is welcome!

Comments (5)