SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Open shelves : open on ends, or closed??

laughablemoments
13 years ago

Hi all. I have a minor dilemma on my hands. We're talking about putting some open shelving in for our everyday dishes (used 3x a day, so dust isn't much of an issue). I thought that of course we'd do open shelves with support brackets below, a bit like this GWer's kitchen (I forgot to write down whose, sorry. But isn't it pretty?)

DH automatically assumed we were doing box framed cabinets without doors! Something like this:

eclectic kitchen design (from Houzz)

Hmmmmmmmm

He points out the advantages this way:

1. Stuff is less likely to fall off the shelves in a box style cabinet in case someone tries to fit just a few more dishes on the shelf (Now, that wouldn't eeeever happen here, ha!)

2. The shelves would be adjustable in height

3. If we decided down the road that we didn't like them open, we can easily hang some doors on them.

4.Attaching the cabs to the studs will be easier with the box cabs than lining up brackets with the studs.

5. There would be no brackets in the way of the stuff stored on the shelves.

Humph. : )

But the ones with the cute brackets look "prettier". I think they'd make the space feel more open to not have these huge boxy sided things hanging on the walls. (Sounds like a lame comeback, huh.) The spots where these are going are 3' sections of wall with a window in between and on either side

What do you think? Those of you with open shelves: Do you lose stuff off the open ends? Do you ever wish you could change the height of the shelves? Is it driving you mad to have no doors?

Any open-boxers want to speak up and share their opinions? All other opinions welcome, too.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner