SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Mudroom design trouble--need a solution

breezygirl
13 years ago

I posted this over in Kitchens as well because I'm there all the time, but also wanted to see what you nice folks over here might say.

As part of our whole house remodel, I was planning on framing around the door from the garage into the house to create a mudroom for coats, hats, shoes, purse, etc. We currently have NO space for any of that coming in from the garage. Like this with a door in from the dining room. The new walls I was planning are drawn in red. Laundry room is existing. Skylights are drawn in ORANGE.

Here's how it relates to the rest of the house for reference.

I happened to be over at the house Tuesday night and just happened to look up in the new mudroom area and just about peed my pants. The skylight well is in the way of the new walls!!!!! OMG!!!! You see that, right? How I never noticed this before I'll never know.

Anyway, I can't frame into the skylight as their are two of them and it will look funny to have one them look different.

Here's what I came up with on the fly. It would be a mudroom "closet" with walls running to the ceiling like a regular room, but no door. I was thinking of a small bench for sitting to put on shoes, basket for gloves, plus wall hooks for coats, purse, etc. (New walls shown in blue.)

Will this look odd that it doesn't come out into the room even with the existing laundry room? Will it look strange without a door on it? Am I off my rocker completely?

Other ideas? Thanks so much. Framing starts on Monday so I have to figure this out!

Comments (4)