SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twiceremembered

Beadboard, Door Trim, Baseboard - What order?

twiceremembered
15 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling and will soon be adding beadboard to our hallway. Currently we have installed new drywall and new doors, but no trimwork whatsoever. I am very confused as to what order the door trim, baseboard, and beadboard should be installed. I've read that the baseboard is installed after the beadboard, but should the door trim be the very first thing installed, even before the beadboard?

Or is it installed on top of the beadboard just like the baseboard? If so, what do you do about the gap created between the wall and the door trim above the beadboard (our beadboard will go up to about 48")

We are just using regular, flat 5" wide pine pieces for both the baseboards and the door trim. I would like for the baseboard and the door trim to be flush where they meet each other, but if the baseboard is installed on top of the beadboard, it won't be flush unless the door trim is also installed on top of the beadboard. I'm not crazy about the idea of creating a 45 degree angle where the two meet if we decide to add the door trim before the beadboard, either.

Does anyone have any solutions for us? I think I've just about read the whole internet on the topic, hehe, and am still just as confused as ever. Thanks so much!

Kim

Comments (9)