SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boots23

Fees for working with a designer/GC?

boots23
10 years ago

I'm planning to do a master bath and kitchen remodel, but have very little experience hiring and working with contractors. A friend of a friend has been working with me to come up with possible designs. She is a designer, but said she would also work as my GC. She would hire the subs and be responsible for them, and I would pay the subs directly.

So far, we have spent several hours together on a few different occasions talking about what could be done and what materials I wanted. She gave me a basic sketch on graph paper of a possible kitchen floorplan, and said that the cabinet maker would give me a more detailed CAD drawing when we hired him.

She has offered to let me pay her by the hour ($50), or sign a contract and her fee would be 15% of the total price. Do these numbers seem to be in the ballpark based on what she would be doing?

As an aside, I really like her personally and trust her opinions. However, I don't feel confident that she will try very hard to stay within my budget. But, I'm not willing to go over it and have told her several times.

Sorry, but I'm just very nervous about starting in on this! I know there are many things I don't know. Reading this forum has really helped, but I don't have many people in real life to turn to for answers. Any advice is welcome!

Comments (6)