SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
afterall_gw

How would you redesign this kitchen?

AfterAll
12 years ago

http://fabulouslyunfabulous.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img_1086.jpg

There is a bay window next to the table in the breakfast area which you cannot see with the door to the basement across from it. The most that space fits is a 4 person round table- and even that is cramped, and the breakfast space is opened to the family room. The table is going to go, likely for some kind of built in breakfast area.

The dishwasher is on the other side of the peninsula which you cannot see in the picture.

Issues:

I need more counter/prep space. I end up doing all of my prep work in the corner between the sink and stove.

The fridge isn't in a great spot.

The peninsula blocks people in and is more of a catch all for junk than useable space.. when I am cooking and entertaining, people are in my face and space... I need an area where people can congregate and talk to me, but not be in my space.

It is not wide enough for an island.... unless you count an island that would be like 20 inches wide.

Microwave is taking up valuable space.

Plans:

We are planning to open the wall with the range hood and 4 upper cabinets into the dining room, and put in a window in the dining room directly across from that (to let in more light and so I can see the kids on the swingset). We are going to use the dining room as our kitchen table... it will still be a dining room, but with no more "formality".

Remove the soffits and get cabinets to the ceiling.

Do floor to ceiling pantries on the wall with the double wall oven and fridge.

I was thinking about removing the peninsula to make this into more of a galley... or shrinking it down and adding in a semi round countertop into the breafast area (in front of the bay window which you can't see), or putting it at a bit of an angle to open up the space but keeping the storage.

What other suggestions can you offer?

Comment (1)