SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildturkey450

Obscuring screw holes on previously stained clapboards

wildturkey450
14 years ago

Prior to installing clapboards on my house, I want to apply one coat of solid colored stain to the back of these unfinished clapboards along with 2 coats to the front of the clapboards. This is going to be a do-it-yourself job and I'm thinking it would be easier to pre-stain these clapboards on the ground instead of applying stain from scaffoling high up (2 1/2 story house). I want to attach these clapboards with countersunk deck screws--they have a small head. Once these screws are installed, I thought I might just use a tiny dab of clear silicone caulk over these screws to seal them from the weather. However, since these screw holes won't be stained (remember all my stain has been applied prior to installation), I'm wondering how this is going to look. Will I have a bunch of holes without stain sticking out like a sore thumb? Stain color is dark grey. Screws are stainless. If I dab some stain in the drilled hole prior to or after installing the screw, I won't be able to immediately follow with caulk as the stain in the screw hole will still be wet. I don't want to have to revisit this hole when I'm dealing with moving scaffoling. Anyone with a better idea? I really don't want to give up on pre-stainiing these clapboards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (11)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional