SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

is rattan/wicker tacky for a living room?

Fori
12 years ago

I've been shopping for a living room sofa for like 10 years. I've sworn twice that I would not bring my awful leather sleeper sofa to another house but here it is, still incredibly comfortable and ugly and misshapen and huge.

Anyway, can I put a nicer rattan couch in my living room? It's not a super formal home and I don't have a cat currently. I need something with a smaller footprint that can be cleaned (or have the cushions replaced/recovered). I like the idea of hard exterior surfaces. (We have kids and we're clumsy.) Leather (if not the cheap variation) holds up to us well so I almost ordered this:

but it would look silly in my 50s ranch.

Since it IS a 50s ranch I feel I am allowed to go a little tacky and rattan isn't quite the commitment a Stickley sofa is, so if I get nice indoor fabric, would it be totally inappropriate to put something like this

or even better but maybe too outdoorsy this:

in the living room? If it helps, it's right next to a large picture window and it's the closest thing we have to a sun room but it's also the closest thing we have to a living room.

(I'd love to find a vintage mid century rattan couch because they are somehow more indoorsy. Anyone remember those?)

So, bad idea? Really bad idea? Thanks!

Comments (18)