SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenamy

Advice on layout - which option and would welcome critiques!

gardenamy
12 years ago

Hi. I'm starting to plan my new kitchen and hope to get some feedback from all you knowledgeable GWers. It truly has amazed me the vast amount of knowledge given by many - many of whom are finished with their own kitchens! I have lurked for about 2 years on and off..but the time to being starts now.

A little background. 2 adults, 2 kids (12 and 11), 3 dogs and 2 cats. Busy household with more kids/adults often for dinner. Not a gourmet chef, be I like to cook and I love to can (peaches, pears, tomatoes, jellies, etc.). House build between 1915 and 1920. The preverbal "money pit." Yes, I know there are a lot of them out there�but seriously, in addition to plaster walls crumbling down and no insulation, etc., has anyone else had an inground pool cave in? lol

The original kitchen is approx. 12 x 9 and the dining room is 12 x 14 which has a partial wall between them. Would like to take the wall down and make one open area. There is no other dining room in the house so we will make due with what we have. Not enough room for an island, and too tight for a breakfast bar.

The door at the top to the left of the range leads to the breezeway and basement and is the main door that people use when they come to the house. - then you have to walk through the kitchen/dining room to get to the foyer and then the living rooms, etc. Everyone passes through the kitchen, so traffic flow is an issue. Doorway to the right of the range is to the bathroom/bedrooms. Large opening leads to foyer//staircase/livingroom.

Am trying to decide range vs. wall oven/cooktop. Have never had wall oven/cooktop so I would love opinions for or against. We have decided to build the microwave into either the pantry or above the wall oven, depending on which version we choose.

Any suggestions/changes on the layout would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance. Amy (keeping fingers crossed I can insert these photos correctly!!)

{{!gwi}}

Range:

{{!gwi}}

Wall oven/cooktop:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (15)