SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kailuamom_gw

After the crush.....

kailuamom
15 years ago

Hey everyone, long time no talk! Some of you may remember my story; In '07 I did a total gut kitchen remodel on my home in Hawaii and then had to move before ever cooking in the kitchen. I was completely crushed. We moved back to our home in CA with a perfectly functional kitchen, but nowhere near as fabulous as the Hawaii kitchen. (BTW - it turned out good that we moved as last summer I got a cancer dx and was able to be treated at a world class facility, which would not have happened in Hawaii. My prognosis is outstanding, so I am very grateful for how things worked out. That said, I'm still not "over" the kitchen)

I do not have the need or resources to gut this kitchen, and I like the layout. However, the cabinet finish is starting to be noticeably worn - DH will not allow white paint, cabs must stay wood finish. Structurally, they are fine though - no need to replace. The floor is a nice slate look porcelain tile, which must stay. The counters are uba tuba tile, which I wouldn't mind changing to a slab, at least on the island.

Questions;

Has anyone used that new NHance wood renewal process? They say they can restain cabs for a fair price - or change color? I have maple cabs, and am thinking of staining darker if it will work.

I am considering leaving the perimeter counters as tile and getting a slab for the island (the grout lines drive me crazy on the island). What color granite would work with then Uba Tuba perimeter and the green gray floor?

How hard is it to change from recessed lights to a fixture? I would like to do this over the island.

We have a under mount cast iron enamel coated sink which is pretty scratched up, how hard is this to change out?

I would like to change the refrigerator wall cabs to look more built in. Who has had good experience with a custom cabinetmaker completing a partial project? How do you find someone?

I will change the appliances to stainless as they wear out, however I am not planning to do this right away. I have already bought knobs and pulls in a satin nickel.

This is a picture of the kitchen today- I would appreciate any other thoughts as to what I can do to update. Oh, I can spend about 5K.

{{!gwi}}src="http://image24.webshots.com/565/0/38/65/2845038650101581863dIIlyP_ph.jpg"; width=425 border=0gt;

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County