SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Before I Sell - Carpet Color & MBR Bedding ?

bluestarrgallery
16 years ago

We want to downsize (amount of land to take care of) and sell our home - one level ranch 3/2. We are now in the final prep process. I thought I would post here beforehand rather than post after and have folks say - change the color of the carpet or get rid of that bedspread.

We are putting carpet in the three bedrooms. We have chosen Mohawk Smartstrand cut pile. I have heard darker color carpets are coming into style, but I have also always heard that light colors sell homes. All the walls in the home are painted white dogwood, except one bathroom is a very pale aqua (master) and the other is a very pale grey/green (guest). The rest of the house (kitchen, family, entry, hall) has cherry floors, tile in bathrooms and slate in living room. I am trying to decide between taupe or a lighter beige. Carpet guy said to get the taupe (actually advised even darker - chocolate) saying our home has lots of windows and plenty of light) because living in the country it is easier to keep clean. He also said he is seeing many folks now who are tearing out light carpet and putting in darker carpet. In case we don't sell (prices fall too low or market slows even more) I am leaning more towards the taupe due to ease of care (won't show stains or dirt as much - and the taupe is more in line with the flow of the home - due to the cherry floors being a little darker). Colors are similar to these (taupe is actually prettier than what is shown - it doesn't look brown, has more of a sheen to it):

{{gwi:2051913}} {{gwi:2051914}}

For the master bedroom, we want new bedding. We don't want a floral. We like contemporary but should we go with a more traditional look?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated for the carpet and bedding. Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:2051915}} {{gwi:2051916}} {{gwi:2051917}} {{gwi:2051918}}

Comments (36)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Why not take the money you would use for new carpeting and put that as an incentive for the buyer---who might like to choose their own color. Make it a package deal---use the same installer you have---new owner just selects the color.

That would be much more inviting to me than having brand new carpet which I did not like.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I'm not sure I'd like any of the bedding with a taupe. Out of the bedding you posted, I like the 3rd one, not sure what color carpet I'd go with on that, most likely the lighter.

Hopefully my link below will stay. If not, I went to jcpenney.com, bed & bath, online outlet, bed & bath again. Not sure how well it will show.. here's our master (photo is a little dark, I didn't take it.

Also check out Touch of Class, they have a few nice comforters. What are you looking to spend?

Good luck. Choosing carpet is hard. We chose something in the sand color, when they brought the sample to our house we hated it and went taupe. I was getting sick over the choice (wondering if we did the right thing) until it was installed. Everything worked out great though, the comforter we picked (which I paid full price for) along with the new wall paint (Benjamin Moore helped us decide) the room looks great in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penneys

• Related Discussions

MBR color....need ideas and serious help!!

Q

Comments (4)
    as i said in another post, find something you really like, like a piece of art, rug, fabric or whatever..and use the colors in the piece as a jumping off point for the entire room, even if it isn't in the room you can use it to form a color scheme. remember that matchy matchy is out..so buy sheets in one of the colors, bedspread in a coordinating one, throw on pillows that are the same color family but not matchy, and curtains that coordinate..etc..cheaper going that way too generally..or you can design an entire room around a set if you need the matchy thing. say you like a painting..and it has 5 or 6 colors in it..choose one color for the paint on the walls and the accents like pillows and candles..choose another color for carpets and ceiling..choose another color for some of the linens..and a print with all of the colors, stripe or plaid or floral or other, that contains at least 2 or 3 of the colors..then you're entire room will coordinate.
    ...See More

I'm disappointed in my new bedding for the MBR

Q

Comments (25)
    Thank you for the suggestions for an alternative to what I have. All are lovely. I will take a peek at Pine Cone Hill's website, despite the fact that I said I need to wait until after my trip to start looking. Previously, I had a matelasse coverlet in what I would call a dark cream, paired with a black and cream toile, so maybe I should try going an entirely different direction. I will be returning everything to the store and fortunately, do not have to worry about getting a refund on any shipping charges. At the time I ordered, I took advantage of a free shipping offer. I am still disappointed, tho. I had high hopes for this bedding.
    ...See More

Pick a color, any color...seriously! At a loss for MBR

Q

Comments (6)
    I would look at some of the Historical collections of colors...California Paints, Farrow & Ball or Ben Moore. There are brights within each collection, particularly the first two, but you won't run the risk of going overboard as they are all toned down a bit. F&B Cooking Apple green comes to mind. Or Teresa's Green for more of an aqua. I'd worry a bit that pale blue with a northern exposure will feel too cool. I have F&B Vert de Terre in my bedroom now, a slightly warm green, and I find it just right. I also just used BM Ambiance in my north-facing laundry room. It is soft but still has a touch of red in it for warmth. I remember your stucco disaster. Such a sad story. I am glad to hear you've turned the corner and are getting ready to move on to the good stuff. And I have always loved your house. Hope you still love it too!
    ...See More

I really need help w/ tan paint color for MBR! lenox tan?

Q

Comments (64)
    I tried to post a picture, but am having trouble with a few things. First of all, my photo skills are lacking and the true colors of the current wall color and the sample of Wheeling Neutral are just not showing up they way they appear IRL. The current wall color is much more yellow. In my picture, the two colors look quite similar, when they really aren't at all. The other problem is the size of the picture. I inserted the picture by dragging and dropping from my pictures library and the picture is huge. Do I need to resize before I insert a photo? This is my first attempt at including a photo since the change over to Houzz. Then, of course, there's that whole thing with my photos becoming 'property' of Houzz. I have been comparing my samples of Lenox Tan and Wheeling Neutral and I think I've figured out what didn't work with the Lenox Tan in our BR with the bedding I'm going to use. Altho I do like the richness of LT, the color needs to be grayer and I think I've achieved that with the WN. Could I go darker? I suppose the answer would be yes, but then the color is just about matching the grayed brown in the pillow sham and that's not necessarily my goal. The colors should just blend, right? I want a nice background color that works with the overall color scheme.
    ...See More
  • cordovamom
    16 years ago

I like the taupe color best. Someone buying a home out in the country may look at the lighter carpeting as being totally impractical for your home and plan on replacing it, factoring in the cost to replace. I think the taupe is light enough and neutral enough, yet dark enough to be practical in a "country" home.

Personally I'd stick with one of the solid comforters just because you don't want the bedding to make so much of a statement as to be distracting. The first one definitely does that, the last one not as much. The two in the middle seem more neutral.

Good luck!!

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Definitely the taupe. As someone that purchased a house two years ago with nearly white carpet, I agree the lighter color may look better but the darker will be appreciated more. We knew the light was impractical and we'd have to rip it out. Two years later, we still have the living room and stairs to do. A buyer may very well factor this into a lower price offer.

Are you certain you need new carpet and a deep clean is not enough? If a deep clean is not good enough I would definitely replace as you plan to rather then offer a carpet allowance.

I'm not sure about any of the bedding choices with the taupe, but of the four listed the third from the left would also be my choice. Contemporary is thought to be a more difficult sell, but if you are marketing to 20-somethings, it might be a better choice.

• chisue
    16 years ago

I agree about trying to steam clean the existing carpeting first. Of course, if there is hardwood in the BRs I'd skip the carpeting and buff up the floors. In fact, how much more would it cost to do hardwood? That's your best seller.

I wouldn't offer a carpet allowance unless and until it came up in an offer.

What does your realtor suggest you do?

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

Go with the taupe, it isn't too dark.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cordovamom, xamsx, handymac, thanks so much for your input. Unfortunately I don't thinks buyers will be able to look past the 'early concrete' floors in our bedrooms now. Our house is built on a slab which is common in this area. We had ripped out the old carpet which was brown, beige and a tad of orange shag - although it was amazingly still in good shape - but very dated. So we have to get new carpet. I think I have pretty much decided to go with the taupe.

cordovamom, xamsx, roselvr, - thank you for all your suggestions on bedding. I had actually bought the first bedspread but kept it in the package - because in the back of my mind I was thinking it wasn't right for selling and kept going back and forth. I am trying to mix what we like with what buyers like. That's why I threw in the picture of the third bedding, thinking that would be more appealing to the masses. I am not sure 20's can afford our place - all though these days you never know. I know if I was 20 now I'd never be able to purchase a home.

roselvr, thanks for all the info on bedding. Your master is very nice, but is a little more formal decor than ours will be. I am going to check out the Penny's and Touch of Class sites you posted. I am also going to go to Bed, Bath & Beyond today to see what I can find. I am definitely returning the pokkadot set - it was too informal. Trying to get a balance here as our ranch is less formal with a slider out to a full length screen porch on the back of the house. Oh my, probably more decorating needed there too (haven't even looked out there in some time) - so much to do to get everything ready.

We are trying to get everything pre-staged before we have even one real estate (or person) come and look - as people in our town seem to "know" all the houses already and we have done extensive remodeling. We don't want anyone to come in with pre-conceived ideas of what our home used to be - but to be amazed at the transformation from old to wonderfully updated. Plus in our town word spreads like wildfire and we want a wow factor to spread once our home is for sale. Hopefully someone will have a friend that wants to live here. Before we purchased this home several people in the area had considered it - but didn't want to do remodeling and bought elsewhere. We live in an area where people tell their friends and relatives about houses for sale and then they come and look and buy here - so we want everything to be just right before they get in to see our place. At least that is what we are hoping will happen - keeping our postive thoughts out there.

chisue - haven't gotten a realtor to look - will be coming right after the carpet is installed. We were going to stick with the same flooring in the bedrooms, but that is another, very long, story - we can't match what we have - so have decided to go with carpet.

Thanks again. Might be posting a couple of items again to get some input about other choices, as I try to whip this place into 'viewing' shape.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe I can have a more monochromatic color bedding and just had a little color in the art and accessories - found these two at Penny's - thanks roselvr, you have me thinking now.

{{gwi:2051919}} {{gwi:2051920}}

• solie
    16 years ago

I think springvillagegardens' bedding suggestions are excellent.

White or off-white sheets with solid color shams and duvet colors seem very popular now too. I suggest checking out restorationhardware.com They tend to be pretty trendy and current. You may be able to find stuff inexpensively on ebay.

If you avoid using a pattern you don't really have to worry about being too traditional or too contemporary.

Personally, I would love chocolate brown carpet. It's practical and in style right now and it's easier to work with than a beige or taupe. NEW chocolate brown carpet would be a big selling point for me. But....it might not be as safe a bet as taupe or beige. I think a lot of people might appreciate it's practicality and sophisticated look if it were in a really beautifully staged house, but I'm not sure I'd take the risk if it were my house.

I think taupe vs. beige really just depends on what looks better with your existing furnishings and paint colors. The tuape is a little more practical, but the beige is brighter and may seem "prettier."

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

springvillage, both of those choices are excellent. Just add in some other pillows etc to punch it up a bit.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

springvillegardens, both your choices in the second set are very good.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Love the bedding you just posted! I might have to pick that up also lol If you go with taupe, I love the lighter and think it would look great in the room. Penney's actually has really nice scarves that will go with the lighter Chameleon look at the linen w/ mocha. The champagne are also pretty. When I bought ours, I got them 1/2 price. I never shop full price especially at Penneys.

How do you feel about micro suede? For my son's room I picked up a nice solid bed in a bag set from Walmart under $50. Not sure if they still have it in stock but it may be worth a look. After doing the looking for bedding, I can tell you, your best bet is to try online 1st as some of the stores don't have all of the styles in stock.

With window treatments, if you are doing them, you might not find the ones you want from the same place you bought the bedding. I was finding colors complimentary to my daugters in Bed, Bath, Beyond or Lines & things but not Penneys. I don't know why these manufacturers do that, give a certain shade to one store in bedding but give the window treatments to another store :(

Before I forget, if you do order from Penney's - go to google and type in JC Penney coupon code. Most times free shipping is not as good as a percentage off. When you place the order, try it both ways. I usually save the shopping bag, then open it in 2 browsers (IE & Firefox), then which ever is cheapest I complete. I had a free shipping code that expired yesterday

I have to agree about just installing the carpet verses an allowance. Showing the house with a semi finished bedroom may make you uncomfortable; I hate showing ours with the kitchen counter in the middle of being replaced. While putting down a wood floor may sound good, we priced carpet vs. wood & found it would be over $500 cheaper. In our area we wouldn't make that money back nor did we have it to put out. I'm not a fan of wood, especially in a bedroom but was going to do it to make hubby happy and am glad it was more. I love the new carpet, very nice on the feet & back :)

Personally, I would love chocolate brown carpet. It's practical and in style right now and it's easier to work with than a beige or taupe. NEW chocolate brown carpet would be a big selling point for me. But....it might not be as safe a bet as taupe or beige. I think a lot of people might appreciate it's practicality and sophisticated look if it were in a really beautifully staged house, but I'm not sure I'd take the risk if it were my house.

I was going to suggest this as the other site Touch of Class has bedding that would be beautiful with it

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney coupon code

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

I had chocolate carpet many years ago and it was awful. It might not show dirt, but it showed every piece of lint. Not a good choice.

I have taupe now (in fact that's the name of the color) and it is wonderful. I vacuum it often but it never looks dirty.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, of course those two I chose above were the most expensive. I had almost forgotten my mom gave me a white chenille bedspread that will fit a cal king bed - Chenille is kind of dated but I could camoflauge or dress it up with a beige or taupe duvet or throw and pillows and save lots of money - I'll have to try it out tonight and see what it looks like.

The only window in our bedroom is a 6 ft slider to the screened porch. Screened porch is almost the full length of the back of the house I was thinking of getting those panel shades for the bedroom and keeping them open when people look at the house. Someone on the decorating forum told about them and I think they are neat - kind of like the old style blinds but bigger panels - Penny's has them - here's one style:

{{gwi:2051921}}

how do you post a link in the middle of the post?
    hope this works:
    jcpenney.com

I don't really want to order anything online - will take too long and if I don't like it I have to send it back. I really need to see curtains and bedspreads in person. Even the panel drapes might be a stretch. Color on monitors vary too much, better to see stuff in person.

roselvr, thanks for the coupon code for Penny's. As soon as I get my watering done, I am going to head out and look at bedding again. Will swing by Walmart and perhaps Target, cause they are in the closet town and if not than another 30 miles or so to the next town with more shopping. I should be able to find something and if I have neutral bedding, I should be able to find some curtains that are neutral in stock for sure.

happyladi, my aunt once had dark purple plush carpet (it was her favorite color) thick as could be - but she had to vacuum it almost every day because of the lint - so I know what you mean.

solie, I think you are correct, chocolate is too big a risk, because it is a bit trendy and someone more traditional may want to buy our home and then we'd be sunk on that choice. I think if we can say "brand new neutral smartstrand carpet" that will be a selling point and go with the taupe.

The holidays will be here soon and need to get it all done so I can at least get a guestimate from a realtor about the price we might be at for our property. Prices are all over the board here in the country.

More later tonight hopefully.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Target didn't have anything but florals and quilts that were too casual. They did have one taupe coverlet - but I wans't sure about the color because when I put it next to a bunch of different colors of bed skirts and linens - it didn't match anything - yikes! maybe taupe isn't such a good color. I have always considered it neutral not sure now.

roselvr, Walmart doens't have cal king bedding just king and they were already sold out of the microfiber King set. DH is tall so we really need to keep our cal king bed.

I didn't make it to the other city, by the time I left, did errands, bank, Walmart and Target it was time to back home. Today I will head out the Bed, Bath & Beyond, Penny's, Mervyns and perhaps Ross (they sometimes have good sales).

I am also going to have to get a spread for the guest bedroom too - but dont' want to get that till I get the master bedroom one because I don't want to get the same color for both - want them to be neutral but not the same color - want a little variety in the decorating colors.

Have you heard of this - I was going to blow up mattresses for a queen headboard in the guest room instead of getting a new mattress set before we move - maybe I can find a cheap headboard. Our other bedding went with our father-in-law where he moved. Or do you think I should put in a double bed to make the room look bigger? that's probably a stupid question - of course, I should make everything look bigger. Talking out loud here - just answered my own question.

Well I have some trim and touch up painting to do, then have to get some quarter round when I am out and stain it - I think I need to make a list.

• mzdee
    16 years ago

Please don't spend tons of $$ decorating. Do the stuff that counts. If carpets and floors need replacing, do that.
    Big ticket items are:
    Cleanliness
    Neatness (no clutter)
    Great condition of the BIG THREE: Heating, Cooling, and Roof!
    Landscaping

HGTV has taken folks on a merry ride. Folks coming through who are fascinated by the decor do not need to buy your house. Because they don't have sense enough to focus on what matters, they probably won't make it out of escrow.

I sold my house "As Is." I cleaned it and the BIG THREE were in order.

I moved into a house that was in fact beautifully decorated. Didn't buy it for that reason. I've been painting and swapping things out ever since.

O.K. Long post. I'm just saying. Do what really matters so you attract serious buyers.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I looked at that set you posted - wow - talk about expensive. I got a new coupon code but it didn't bring the price down much. At $279, it would have to be a pretty good coupon code. If you really like it (I do!) keep your eyes open for codes. Not sure if you can sign up at Penneys to watch it but you can sign up for emails.

Our Penneys doesn't have it in stock. Like you I ran around yesterday but our store is small. For me to drive to the bigger store would take almost an hour. If I do see a good sale in the Sunday paper, I may have hubby drive me out and pick one up. If I can get it 40% off, that would be nice.

When I shopped for the one I bought, I online ordered 4 different sets. With the coupon code I had, I think shipping was free so it didn't cost me anything. They do accept returns at the store, so that helped. I do have a Penney's CC, so it's not like I'm putting it on a Visa. Some times Penneys will give a discount for using their card.

We just bought a twin bed for my son's room. He's a bit ticked he lost his comfy full sized bed but the room looked small.

I like the paneled shades.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mzdee, the roof is newer (30 year shingle) but is about 7 years old, the heat and ac unit was replaced two years ago, and the place is landscaped.

We have redone just about everything in this house, new kitchen, 2 new bathrooms, new flooring, new windows, new exterior and interior doors, new paint in and out, new light fixtures and now we are decorating (modestly) to emphasize the redo and compete with "new" homes so someone will want ours over new. A lot of the work we did ourselves, or I was the contractor and supervised the subs, and we were creative in saving costs. Both bathrooms were completed this year, kitchen last year.

I have bought a footboard/headboard and am thinking of making those into headboards for the MBR and other bedroom, just going to put a coat of paint or dark stain. See link below from the decorator forum re trash to treasure (my headboard/footboard are posted lower in the post). I just think bedrooms look better with headboards - more homey and finished. Cost $40 for both from a thrift store - so that will be $20 for each headboard - plus the cost of a couple of boards on the sides to finish them off - already have lots of stain or paint.

If we don't sell then we will have a nice home to live in because after three years of destruction and construction both inside and out (3 acres) - we are ready to take it easy.

roselvr, I don't know why my eye always seems to go to the more expensive items - I should have been born rich - perhaps the lottery one day - or I keep hoping I will win HGTV's dream home - guess the right style and layout for me hasn't been built yet. I have done away with all my smaller CC, but don't mind putting on Visa and paying off at the end of the month. I am hoping Penny's will have panel shades in stock - if not I will order them - I think they are stylish, sleek and practical. The closest Penny's is 45 miles and doesn't have a furniture section, the next one is 65 miles and does - not going to the latter today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trash to Treasure - Headboard Redo's

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

That's a really great post you linked to! Love what you posted.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I just got a new mini catalog in the mail, there is a comforter set (5 piece) Cal King for $169.99, not sure if it's in your price range. Unfortunately, it isn't being shown on the web site, is catalog exclusive only. If you get to Penney's, go to the catalog department, the front cover says Casual, has a picture of a sectional couch in front of a fireplace. The bedding is almost the same as the more expensive one but has buttons. It's made by Studio (even searching using Studio doesn't bring it up but brings up others that are nice). It is on page 14 & 15. While you are there, pick up some of their other mini catalogs, who knows what else they might have.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok - I went into Bed, Bath & Beyond and found a set, bought them and went out to the car - then noticed the skirt was pleated silk - too formal and the cats would have loved it - for the wrong reasons. Went back in and got this one - a little darker than I wanted, but I think I can lighten it up with pillows and lighter drapes and put a solid color throw on the bottom of the bed. It comes with a comforter, shams, sheets and bedskirt. It appears busier in the package than it really is - will tone it down with some solid color pillows. It is almost impossible fo find a neutral, light colored, non floral or non-formal comforter anywhere. Almost every one is jacquard, fancy silk, bright or dark prints. What do you think?

Found some curtains at Pier I that match but they are $45 for one panel - a bit steep. I think I can match this color somewhere else for less.

I also saw a lamp at Pier I which I think would look really good with the comforter - didn't buy it yet. The lamp had a suede look lampshade and a sort of brown glazed dotted base - similar to an animal skin but not quite. Was thinking I could even have one animal print pillow on the bed - have always wanted one somewhere in my decorating. I was thinking of having the master bedroom done in kind of an exotic/romantic theme.

Never made it to Penny's

{{gwi:2051922}}

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

Very nice -- you have great taste !!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I like it! Pretty sure Walmart & Target may have accessories to go with it. Tried to look at it online but like the one in the mini Penneys catalog don't see it.

If you can get out to Penney's, try to do that. After seeing what you picked from there, I wonder if you'll like that one better. Also pick up other catalogs, I just got a few in the mail this last week or two, a few have blinds, if I have time I will look to see if the ones you liked are on sale for a better price.

I don't know if I'm able to scan the catalog page. I'm in the middle of digging my daylily garden and have plants pulled out that have to be potted; then we have to drive to the new house & sign more papers. If I have time I will bring the scanner out. With moving, it isn't hooked up because I'm minus furniture in here :( Since I build computers, and scan on a regular basis; I feel pretty lost.

How long before you list the house?

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Just looked, I have 2 catalogs, if you want me to tear out the page and mail it to you I can. Send me your name / addy via email, I can put it in the mail today.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cordovamom, thanks I am trying to get things I like and still remain neutral and appeal to the masses.

roselvr, thanks I just sent you an email so you can clip that page and send it along to me.

Won't list for a couple of weeks, since we have to get the carpets installed.

Got two doors painted yesterday and will give them a second coat today, they might need three.

DH and friend are working on our 54 Chevy truck, putting it together today (which means all the parts will get out of the garage and we might be able to move in there) and they keep asking me for stuff (don't know why they can't see anything on a shelf unless it is on the top shelf or right in front) so I have to stick around, but I will try to get to Penny's tomorrow and get their special catalogs. I have their big one, but don't see anything in there.

Thanks again.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Has the mail gotten there yet?

I got another catalog today, there's a taupe / sage / ivory set for $89.99

You need to go to penney & sign up to get these catalogs :)

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I ordered the carpet and it should get here next week - the taupe colored one. Will post new photos when I get it installed and the linens are on the bed.

Went to Ross today and got a couple of throw pillows and will see which ones go best. Decided to keep the curtains already in MBR even though they have a one light gold stripe, remainder stripes are beige and tan - very sublte stripes - they will be pulled back.

Still looking for brown/aqua curtain panels for the living room.

Went with a shower curtain in the guest bath instead of a glass door - previous door only one year old had etched glass from hard water which we couldn't get off even with strong cleaner. We have since installed a water softener.

Hopefully I will be posting photos of our property for sale soon.

Have to clean up the office and guest bedroom this weekend in preparation of carpet layers - way too much stuff stacked in those two rooms due to all our remodeling over the past several years. Wish I had a genie in a bottle.

Read a recent article about the town adjacent us (we are in a foothill bedroom community) which said the market there is steady and increasing 2.6% over the past six months - sounds good to me - they are building new shoppping centers left and right. Can't be all bad.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, what's the name of the taupe/sage one I'll look it up on the internet - oh I think I found it - is it called Peyton? I got the mail today, thank you so much, you deserve a bunch of good luck for taking the time to send me that info, i.e. quick sale on your house. I don't like the comforter as well as the one I have, but inside I saw one I really would like for the guest bedroom called the Pulse quilt. The Journey set wasn't bad either - the blue/brown one.

If I stick with all the same colors in the house I can mix and match my accessories. (Hopefully someone doesn't hate silvery blue or aqua).

I may have to call Penney's back again and get on their mailing list as you say. I would love a slipper chair for the MBR but... if we don't sell maybe. Oh pooh - we are going to sell for sure - I just know it.

Here's the Pulse Quilt:
    {{gwi:2051923}}

Here's the Peyton:
    {{gwi:2051924}}

Here's the Journey:
    {{gwi:2051925}}

I am sure Penney's is loving the free advertising they are getting here. Thanks again roselvr.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Surprised to hear you don't like it since it was similar to the more expensive one.

Just got Penney's site up, looked at the new sale posted and the sage one is listed today, it's called Maureen. I know it wasn't there the other day. I see they added other ones also. Shame we changed the molding color from green, some of the sets would have matched great with it.

Got a new sale card today - the code is FALLSHOP - 30% off regular & 10% off of sale prices.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it is the buttons I don't like and now that I am looking at the light beige's I am afraid they may get dirty too quickly - maybe I'll just put the nice one on when folks are coming to look - that gets to be a a pain though. Maureen doesn't look like it comes in Cal King though.

Boy those sale codes really help - wonder if Target has them too.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

If anyone wants to see the one I sent her, it's item # HQ7223758, it will ask for a catalog # HQ7223 - I don't care for the dark pillow shams & too bad they have the dark blanket on it, can't really see the comforter.

I'll have to check the price with the code, maybe I'll order it to see what it looks like. It would look good in our new bedroom, could also use it in the guest room.

With Target, sign up for emails, they do send sales at least once a week. Not sure if they ever sent codes for money off. Do a google

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 piece set - queen

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Just when I was getting ready to post on this thread, I read that 'spring', had already made all her wonderful choices. Glad to read you went with the taupe carpeting. I had it installed in my first home in CA and loved it because it went with any color I put with it, plus it looked elegant. Had a chocolate once too, but after a couple of years got sick of it! I hope you chose a cut pile and not a 'smooth' carpeting, like a plush. When i've been it homes that have the plush it looked dated. Model homes here in CA, Austin TX, and even NC are using the newer cut piles. It's an old look that's been 'resurected'. When I put my condo on the market almost 2 months ago, I had a warm mediun, goldish tan carpeting installed to go with the warm tan wall color.

Roselvr,I LOVE the bedding in your last post! I'm thinking of changing the floral bedding in the second BR. I somtimes feel one of the BR's needs a more masculine look/feel. I'll wait until after I hear if an offer comes in, not that I couldn't use it in 'my new house'(can't believe i'm typing that!!)

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, that one doesn't have buttons, I must have been looking at something else. That "is" like the one I originally picked out. I must be tired or something. I'll have to look at it again. Man oh man - too many things on my mind.

patty cakes, I did go with the cut pile, the longer stuff was out of stock so I had to go with a shorter cut pile. DH wanted plush, but it shows all the vacuum marks and shows wear very easily too I think. Yeah, the carpet guy here in Ca suggested I go with chocolate said it was the new "in thing" - but I thought it would be too dark and would also show all the lint. and a light carpet shows all the stains, the taupe is in between and goes with everything I hope. We shall see.

I did get an animal print pillow at Ross for $6 (actually I got three and want to see what each one looks like on the bedding before I choose one). Ones kind of light and fuzzy, one is dark and leopard and one is - can't remember the third. DH will have a cow if I bring in three pillows so they are hiding in the car for now. I have the pillow sham in the car and I could hold it up to that, but I think I need the bedding on the bed to get the full effect.

DH is back working on the Chevy again today. They painted the flat bed and are putting in the front windshield - maybe we will actually get to drive it one of these days.

Maybe I'll post an OT "before and after for the chevy" and see if I get any laughs from anyone. Might have to be a before and during, because without windows it isn't after yet. Oh I could relate it to house selling by saying - Do you think I can I sell my house with "this" in the garage?

He took my saw horses to set the flat bed on them to paint it. So now I don't have anything to put my quarter round molding on to stain it. I'll have to prop up a few boxes. The molding isn't that heavy so that should work. Photo of flatbed on sawhorese below.

Bye for now - got to take some photos of that Chevy before the sun goes down.

{{gwi:2051926}}

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Roselvr,I LOVE the bedding in your last post! I'm thinking of changing the floral bedding in the second BR. I somtimes feel one of the BR's needs a more masculine look/feel. I'll wait until after I hear if an offer comes in, not that I couldn't use it in 'my new house'(can't believe i'm typing that!!)

It isn't something I would choose, I like patterns on my bed but like that it is plainish and can be played up with different pillows.

If anyone wants to buy it they;d better jump on it. I tried ordering the queen, of course it told me it wasn't available. I put it in my cart anyway, it's showing that it is back ordered 10/26/07.

Here are the numbers for the different sizes:
    Save 30-50% on 5 piece Studio by JC Penney Home Collection
    Bonus coverlet is diamond quilted w/ an embroidered border; dark taupe reverses to copper canyon. As usual full & queen sets have standard shams, king & cal. king have king shams

Full: HQ 722-3756 - orig $200 / sale $99.99
    Queen: HQ 722-3758 - orig $250 / sale $149.99
    King: HQ 722-3759 - orig $280 / sale $169.99
    Cal. King: HQ 722-3827 - orig $280 / sale $169.99

Accent pillow:
    Square 16' HQ 722-3760 orig $40 / sale $24.99
    Jumbo bolster 36x8' HQ 722-3762 orig $40 / sale $24.99
    Euro square 26' HQ 722-3761 orig $60 / sale $39.99

--------------------------------------------------------

roselvr, that one doesn't have buttons, I must have been looking at something else. That "is" like the one I originally picked out. I must be tired or something. I'll have to look at it again. Man oh man - too many things on my mind.

Look again, it does have buttons - you can see it right on top of the blanket. Using the coupon code, looks like it brings the $149.99 queen (as I'd need) to $104.99, shipping is $19.25. I'll have to see if I can find a better coupon code. What's stopping me is I know the one I have will work with the new house carpet, but I'm not sure if this one will.

Usually the full size doesn't sell out. They usually throw those in clearance for a lot cheaper. I'm such a sucker for bedding. I could change it on a monthly basis if it was up to me.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, thanks for posting the prices; that is a significant savings. My cats would have a heyday with those buttons, then. Anything they can attack and tear up. I am thinking I am going to stick with the one I have, unless I see a super sale locally.

Do you a Ross? They have super prices on bedding and lots of other stuff too. I think Ross gets the stuff from the department stores that doesn't sell. You just have to be sure it isn't stained, nicked up or torn or something.

I'm kind of sucker for art work and you can only hang so much of it up at one time and then where do you store it if it isn't hanging up.

I've got to get motivated to do the other things I have to do around here. DH got the garage cleaned up and actually got the truck in the garage and pressure washed the driveway and walkways. I am clearing everything out of the three bedrooms tomorrow before the carpet guys come (hopefully some time this week) and then I have to stain 15 sticks of quarter round and put another coat on the doors.

Can't wait to see what the carpet looks like - hopefully I picked out a nice one. Supposedly it is being trucked as we speak from Georgia where they make it.

My maple trees are changing color out front and the weather has been beautiful, I love fall and spring - not too hot and not too cold. The mountains above us actually got a light dusting of snow the other day but it melted right away.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Since the set comes with the coverlet, would it work to use that every day to hide buttons, then when you have a showing take it off? It's been years since I lived with a cat.

Yeah, we have a Ross but it's far. I'm not able to drive that far all the time. I'm a sucker for the back of the store. I love the little stuff they sell, decorative boxes, glass ware.

We're still having summer. I had to shut the air off because we had fish last night. With my luck someone will want to see the house while it stinks