SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Camp Cherrio Retreat

grammyp
15 years ago

We made it to the retreat yesterday. I will get a picture of all of us this morning and post later.

beverly

Comments (29)

• nana24
    15 years ago

Have fun for us all. Waiting for the pic.

Sally

• lola99
    15 years ago

I hope you all have a wonderful time!

• calliope
    15 years ago

I soooooooo wish I could have been there. Another one waiting for the pictures and some stories.

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

:(
    Say hi to everyone for me, I wish I was there.

Hope you get better weather than we did last year.

Faye

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Maybe better weather is not to be, Faye. We've got heavy rain in my area of NC this morning. Looks like I am not going to make it up to the retreat after all. I'm going to try to call the camp in a little bit and try to get a message thru to our quilters.

Pooh on you Hanna and Ike, etc.! :o(

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

we've had such fun. We're already talking about next year. GrammyP is quite a shutterbug so there will be lots more pics.

No cell signal up here but good WiFi so computers are our phones out.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you all are enjoying the retreat! We had a great time last year and I hope we can get up a group again next year.

Thank you, Jennifer, for organizing this for the group. I was packed and ready to go but did not want to face over an hour driving in heavy rain. :o(

Teresa

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

I hope it gets planned for Oct next year. I can't do Sept.

Faye

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

Faye,

Everyone has already been talking about another retreat! All weekend they were hinting strongly that I should organize another one!! LOL

Everyone can certainly think on the topic of Retreat next Fall. We discussed a holiday weekend and whether this would be any better for folks...??? Providing the weather isn't rainy like last year, I think an October weekend would be cooler that this past weekend was.

Consider how many days you'd want, when you'd wish to arrive and depart, if a holiday weekend would be good or bad, who you'd like to bring with you, etc. We'll discuss this more after we recuperate from this one! LOL

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I'm another one that would rather we go in October. I like the Thursday to Sunday schedule. Later in the month rather than earlier may be better also.

• scootersgirl
    15 years ago

Holiday weekend would be good for me because I will have 2 in school. But later in Oct would be a good time too. Everyone would be settled into the school schedual and maybe my husband could handle a couple of days with the kids by himself.

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

I think I see a tradition in the making...

I saw a picture of Gwen with the caption "What happens at camp, stays at camp" and I'm anxious to share MY camp secret with some others. (insert cliff hanger music here)

Faye

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

Faye, you're funny!!! I was there with you last year and you have even me wondering what secrets!!

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I would make an effort to come again. I also prefer October.

• scootersgirl
    15 years ago

I'm wondering what Faye is talking about too, and I was there!
    Georgia

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Yup! I vote for late October too!

Now that everyone's interest is stirred on my innocent faux pa, you will just have to show up next year to find out....LOL

Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Bringing this back to the top as it's been in someone's thoughts! @:)

SharonG

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

Well, I'm in for October 2009 if anyone cares to join me.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

October works for me. Just let me know.

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

I'll be there if at all possible. :)

Faye

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

October 2009 is good for me too!

A personal note: if any of you have wanted to attend a quilt retreat but were worried about the expense, this retreat we have had at Camp Cheerio in the northwest corner of North Carolina is an excellent value for your money. We welcome dear husbands too! There is golf, fishing, biking, and short day trips in the area to provide diversion for them as well as relaxation and quiet "down time."

We have a nice big space to ourselves with room for machines, sandwiching quilts, cutting, etc. We have games, a quilt show, and the "hanging of the quilts" on an outside railing to share with others at the Camp. And did we mention the food? The food is very, very, good at the Camp! Not your beanie weanies and jello of our camp days as youngsters.

The area all around Glade Valley is a beautiful part of the country if you want to take an extended vacation and travel beyond the Camp before or after the retreat. I can possibly pick up Campers that fly into the Piedmont Triad International airport - and return them on Sunday.

We'd love to see more of you at the next retreat!
    Teresa

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Teresa,
    What a lovely endorsment! We are setting up our "must dos" for 2009: weddings, graduations, BDs, etc. We are interested in the retreat too. Have a little more planning to do before we commit. It does sound wonderful to think about.

Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

After what DH has just been through, I'm not even going to 'mention' another trip to him for quite awhile.......no committment here. We did enjoy the last retreat though.

SharonG

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He will be over it by then Sharon. I think he will come back. Tell him I'll make mice and cookies.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Food will get him everytime, Beverly, but let's wait til next summer to make the approach. The dining room food was excellent....good thing they let the quilters go first!

SharonG

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

I have heard so much about this retreat but nothing about details. Not sure it would be possible but would be interested in knowing more about it. Jayne

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

I will be providing details for the potential 2009 Retreat this next week.

Jayne (& others)~ If you do a search on retreats you should find information on the 2008 retreat...The details have been similar for the last two years.

Sharon~Just tell Dh that Amanda will be there! That should smooth things over for you!lol

More to come.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jayne, here is a link to Camp Cheerio:
    http://www.campcheerio.org/

View from the deck at the dining hall:
    {{!gwi}}

Outside of the Sloan Center where we quilted:
    {{!gwi}}

Not only did we have a great quilting space, but the DH (or all of us) can go upstairs and watch a BIG screen TV or play games, hike, boat, ride horses, swim (if you like swimming in COLD water), play basket ball, shoot bow and arrows, or sit on the porch and rock. There is wireless internet available over most of the camp, cell phone service is weather dependent.

The price will depend on how many come, more people, less money. But even with only 8 I think it was less than $200 for 3 nights, 9 great meals (plus all the coffee/tea you can drink), great work space, nice (if simple) rooms, wonderful helpful people working there. All meals are made from scratch, even the pizza dough, not your typical camp food.

The area is beautiful in October and DH would be tempted to go ride bike trails in the area even if there were no retreat. Anything else you need to know, just ask.

beverly

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

Sound interesting. I am not sure I could convince my DH but it sounds like a fun fall vacation at a reasonable rate. Jayne

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH