SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tblmom

Help with layout in awkward living room space

tblmom
10 years ago

*UPDATED WITH LAYOUT OF LIVING ROOM. Link at the bottom of the post* (to scale, except that the console table in front of the left window is actually a radiator heater, but the program didn't have an option for that). Click the "open design" button to see the full layout and the 3D option.

We've been having trouble trying to figure out how to arrange everything in our very awkward living room{{gwi:807}} space. There are a few issues with it.

1) It's long and narrow
2) There is either a door/opening, stairs, fireplace, heater and/or windows on every wall.
3) The front door opens directly into the living room
4) It's asymmetrical. For example, the wall opposite the fireplace has an opening into the dining room towards the right hand side of the wall. The longer part of the wall is pretty much lined up with with the left hand side of the fireplace. So if you put a soft on the opposite wall, it will always be off-center from the fireplace. The room is too narrow to float the sofa.

Things we would like to fit:
1) Our upright piano (doesn't fit in any other room)
2) One 3 seater sofa (which admittedly, is probably too big for the space, but it was from our old house, My husband loves it and refuses to get rid of it)
3) We also have a small console table that I put against the stairs to sort of emulate an entry hall.
4) Flat screen TV (currently mounted above fireplace)
It's not that much furniture but with all the issues, we can't come up with a nice layout.

I don't have any pictures currently, but here are some with the previous owner's stuff.

Long front wall with fireplace, main door on the right and heater to the left.

Short side wall with stairs (front door is pictured on left)

Opposite short side wall

I don't have a picture of the back long wall, but it is basically all wall except for a 3 foot opening, which you can see the very beginning of in the above picture.

Any advice regarding how to arrange the stuff, or even things we could add to make the space more workable would be very welcome! The room is also not as neon yellow as it looks in the pictures!

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout of living room

This post was edited by tblmom on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 15:47

Comments (16)