SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

What have I gotten myself into?? Long!

mary_c_gw
16 years ago

I received a quilt top from my stepfather's "Church Ladies Group" (Yes, they actually call themselves the "Church Ladies").

Sight unseen, (church is in California, and I'm in Texas) I had volunteered to complete this quilt so the Church Ladies could either raffle or auction it in November. This quilt was a donation from an estate sale to the church. Why donated? - it didn't sell, LOL. This is not the quilt's fault, it's actually a pretty good quilt top.

But taking this on may have been a major mistake! The quilt is queen sized, and the first 10" of the top are partially hand quilted. I have to rip that all out, because the top isn't square to the backing, and while the top quilting stitches look good, there are so many puckers on the back that I just can't work with it.

I took it on knowing I might have to rip out some quilting, and my intention was to do a pantograph or all-over meander. But when I opened up the quilt I found it has a very large center panel (36 x 36") surrounded by log cabin blocks, and then by 4 border strips. The log cabins are in shades of hunter green and beige-to-tans.

The panel, which is just plain tan fabric, simply cries out for a feathered wreath, surrounded by cross-hatching! I'm not sure I'm that good yet, LOL.

Either way, the top has clearly been sitting for a year or more, and it is terribly wrinkled, and the batting is all torn and lumpy. That's another reason to take out the hand quilting. It was only basted around the outside edges, and subsequent rough handling has trashed the poly batting.

If it didn't belong to my stepdad's "Church Ladies", I would flat out refuse to do the work.

So I'm thinking of replacing the batting with a nice cotton batting, and then doing a meander all around the center panel, and just making the center panel more formal. Does that sound like it will work? They need this in November, and stitch in the ditch would take one heck of a long time!

I will try to get a photo in the next day or two after I take it apart.

Anyway - any ideas for this center panel would be appreciated. The quilt looks masculine, so I kind of worry about a feathered wreath. But I think it needs some sort of central motif.

mary

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County