SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Looking for a new light fixture for breakfast room -can you help?

lkplatow
14 years ago

We recently switched breakfast nook tables to one that is long and narrow. It fits the space much better, but now the light fixture bugs me. Actually, it has always bugged me - it was a $30 clearance number at Lowes and was supposed to be temporary since the PO of this house took her chandelier when she moved out and we needed something over the table. Here it is 7 years later and it's still there.

I'm thinking that I need something that is longer than it is wide, which seems unusual - most of the chandeliers I see are round. I remember Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware having a longish one a few years ago, but they don't seem to have it anymore.

Style-wise, I'm looking for something casual (no crystals) and either farmhousey (e.g. black iron hubbardton forge-style) or 1930s schoolhouse/warehouse fixture (e.g. schoolhouse glass globe or a metal shade like an old gas station light). Of course, all the fixtures I've seen in the schoolhouse/warehouse vein have only held one 60-100w light bulb, which isn't enough to light the whole table.

And to complicate things more, the ceiling here is goofy - half of the room has no ceiling - it's open to the 2nd floor - and the other half of the room (where the junction box is) has a slanted wood ceiling. This means that I need a fixture that can pivot to hang on a slant (some pendants that I've seen have rods that hang straight down from the junction box - that won't work here since the ceiling is sloped). And, to be even more of a pain in the butt, the junction box isn't exactly in the center of the table because of the goofy ceiling configuration. So I think I need something with a chain so I can attach light at the box then swag it over to hang over the center of the table.

Oh, and in case I haven't already made the criteria impossible enough, it needs to not cost an arm and a leg -- my dh thinks we have a perfectly fine light fixture now and doesn't see any reason to replace it, so he's not going to go for me wanting to spend big bucks. I took a brief look on lightinguniverse.com and besides the fact tha the sheer number of fixtures was completely overwhelming, the first couple I looked it cost over $1000 - that's not going to fly!

Am I on an impossible quest????

Comments (3)