SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rajivsab

sanding / grinding silgranit (blanco)? anyone?

15 years ago

Hello, I just bought the Blanco 511-602 Double Basin Granite Kitchen Sink from the Silgranit Series (Anthracite). It can be mounted over and undermount. I am using undermount of course! PROBLEM: It is about 1/2" too wide for the width of my cabinet. I'm a creative person, so considering sanding the left and right margins by a 1/4" **gently** with my Makita Polisher which runs at very low rpm 1,000 - 2,000. I plan to use Diamond Pads used to polish granite @ various grits. The question here is: is Silgranit workable or hard as rock or harder than rock and this is an impossible task? If possible what grit should i use (50 vs. 100 vs. 1000)? Other ideas to make it fit? Only brave, creative creatures respond please. I have read the stories of contractors cracking these while drilling the granite faucet hole, etc. so would appreciate not hearing those stories but addressing the main question: can it be done? Has anyone tried sanding and is the material workable? There's ample material on the edges for this to work so 1/4" will not disrupt the structural integrity of this item (I think)! I'm not too worried about damaging it as I only paid $150 for it NEW IN BOX (thank god for eBay)! Not worried about warranty either. Please respond to the question directly. I searched Google and there is nothing about this online and your responses could help future creative types who can work miracles and find themselves in a similar jam. I am a hobbyist and doing all this myself. Granite counter tops too! Thanks for your opinions. Submitted respectfully to this great forum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Sink I am about to Modify!

Comments (3)