SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southernstitcher

More Cabinet, cab maker questons, please!

southernstitcher
15 years ago

My cabinet maker is professional, smart, and I've seen a sample of his door - impeccable finish, and my GC concurred. My design will be raised panel doors. He was happy about that. We also wanted raised panel edge on the drawer fronts, with a mitered edge, and we'll put the hardware in the recessed rectangle that creates. However, when I told him that he really strongly disagreed, saying that this type drawer front is a gimmick of the cabinet manufacturers that is not good, strong, etc. He was REALLY against it. But, we're talking about a raised panel on a drawer here, not the cabinet boxes. I'll go next week to see a kitchen he did. He promised me I'll love the way the drawers look - he does use a two piece design. I told him I don't want plain slab drawer fronts. I know it would cost more, but geez am I being mislead so he can just get through the job quickly?

All my bases are drawers, full extension (soft close available if I'm willing to pay more), but will be side mounted. I asked what hardware but he didn't say the brand, only described it. We were in a hurry as the GC was waiting his turn to ask me questions, so I didn't pursue. I've been reading about the Blum bottom mounted. Is there any problem with side mount if the brand is good?

Here is a picture of his drawing of my sink side. Note that it looks like he's giving me a pretty narrow overlay, when I thought he said full overlay. Another thing we might argue over! I don't mind partial, but only like 1/2 inch.

To the far left is a microwave cabinet, and to the right of the sink which is centered under the window, is a trash pull out.

Comments (14)