SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

Tell Me About Your Childhood Kitchens :)

makeithome
13 years ago

I was thinking about how I have based some of the simple design ideas of my kitchen on the kitchens that influenced me while growing up: My parents' kitchen, my Gram's kitchen, and the little kitchen at the local market I worked at for 4 years. I would LOVE to hear about the kitchens in your life that meant the most to you: what was the decor like, what was it that made it special, etc.

My mom's kitchen:

They actually just updated it. Kept the same cabinetry (built by hand by my dad... made out of stained and routered plywood- nothing fancy), but they put in lighter vinyl flooring and new formica on the countertops. My parents never had a lot of money, but my parent's kitchen was always so welcoming. Growing up we had yellow flowered wallpaper on the walls, a giant wooden breadbox on the counter, a huge kitchen table (again, built by my dad) that was scratched and worn from years of my sister and I doing homework and crafts and all of my mom's cooking. My mom makes the best food ever.

My Gram's kitchen, from a decor stance, has got to be one of the ugliest kitchens ever. Wood cabs, white formica, yellow wallpaper and really old yellow and green vinyl flooring. She had a 50's style round white table in the center, and a tiny stove stuck up against the wall, next to the giant radiator. My favorite thing about that kitchen was her cookie jar. After she passed away, my parents asked if there was anything I wanted out of her stuff, and without hesitation, I told them I needed that cookie jar. It now sits on my counter and while it doesn't hold cookies, it holds all of my large utensils. I look at it every day and it makes me smile. I miss my Gram like crazy. And if there was ever a fire, and I had time to grab one thing (in addition to the pets of course)... it would be that cookie jar. Not my wedding album, not my computer with all my files on it, or any of my jewelry... just the cookie jar.

The store kitchen was totally utilitarian. Light blue walls, stainless countertops and all open shelving with giant buckets of pasta and rice and mayo and really large bottles of spices. There was a decrepit stove with only the cook top portion working, and a giant cast iron (?) industrial oven that could only be set to one temperature.

I love looking at so many beautiful kitchens, both on GW and in magazines. However, when I think about the kitchens that melt my heart, I realize that style really has nothing to do with what made them special. It was the people and the memories that makes me love them.

I'd love to hear all about the beloved kitchens in your lives! :)

Comments (60)