SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Need roller shade measuring/material advice

I need to order some replacement shading for my windows. When we moved in, the roller shades were ripped and brittle with sun damage and rain water stains. They may have been from the late 50's or 60's. My kitchen heats up tremendously in the summer from sun streaming into the room for many hours both morning and afternoon. There aren't any shade trees to mitigate this problem. What kind of material should I chose that will stand up to the impact of sun without breaking down (long lifespan of use).

Second, I don't have the old shades for a measurement reference. If I am going by the mount placements, how do I determine what size shade to order? If I hook a metal tape measure over the end of one mount and run it to the edge of the other, it's *close* to 54.5 inches. The window I chose for this example is a double window that has curtain draw mounts for handling pinchpleats, the roller shade mounts and mounts for shear rods all lined up vertically. THe entire wooden window frame is 55 inches wide from edge to edge. I have 2 other series of windows to measure (though differing sizes) except that over the kitchen sink, there are mounts for 3 shades instead of just one.

Arrrghhh. I'm stymied by uncertainty! Whimper. Please help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!