SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Stories from the Bathroom, Byebye Blue, Forget the Green.

12 years ago

You are all so kind with your helpful tips and suggestions.

Faron is helping me with some "technical" issues I'm encountering during this process. I don't think I've ever had "technical issues" with painting before. I won't bore you with the details.

So let's get down to the good stuff. Or maybe not the good stuff.

As you may recall. The bathroom was painted an ethereal blue, but it didn't quite look like what I had in mind:

From the hallway looking into the room and the mirror.

Then I went on the march to find the right sophisticated modern green. All signs pointed me back to BM Wasabi. It looked horrible in this room. In fact it made me a little nauseaus. As did all the greens. So, what to do? Weimeraner and Pashmina just looked "tan" in there.

The color from the master bathroom is looking better and better now....BM Nimbus:

But, I really want to give a color I've been "holding on to" a try. BM Dark Purple. It looks almost black, but you can tell it's purple. I'm scared now.

Here are some pictures from this am, very early, it was cloudy outside, it just rained. I have a really cool green lamp for the counter, and some bright artwork for over the toilet. Here it is, with the cabinets visible and the floor that I'll be using. Funny, now the floor looks "bright" since the wall is so dark.

From the hallway, looking in, tub/surround is reflecting in mirror. Darker color is the Dark Purple, other one is Autumn Purple (but just one coat) Same position as blue photo above, just to give you a far away look of how it will hit you when approaching:

DP on right, Autumn Purple (w/ 1 coat on left, didn't do a 2nd coat because I felt it was going too "pink", I can do a 2nd coat)

the above photo is "improved", the camera does that for you, but this is more what it looked like to my eye when I walked in this am, much darker:

So, bring it on. Will I regret it? Is it going to be just too over the top and insane? My hallway is kind of dark due to the Baltic Gray walls and Wrought Iron ceiling. So, will this make it worse?

You can't say "it's only paint" when you answer. This will be the 3rd color I am going to purchase. You didn't even get to see the Sherwin Williams color that we were sure was going to be a winner. So mint green on the wall.

Dh comes home Friday night. It would really really be good to make a decision and get this done before then.

I am open to going with Nimbus too if all else fails.

I like the idea of that roman shade, but if you have an idea for some sort of sheer window treatment that can also work for privacy, it might help lighten the room--fill me in.

Comments (34)

• 12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the Nimbus, but I am also a fan of the purple (I prefer the Dark Purple from your samples). I painted my 1/2 bath SW Plum Brown and I love it. Granted, it is a much smaller space than your bathroom, but I do not have any regrets.

• Related Discussions

Beach House Paint Help...green, blue furniture & ? walls

Q

Comments (13)
    I think I would decide what kind of cabinetry you want in the kitchen and go from there. I too have a lake house with lots of paneling. We started with the kitchen which was kind of dark and small so I chose white cabinets to opened it up. From there it was a natural extension to paint all the paneling white to match the cabinets. I left the trim, doors and ceiling beams the original dark stained wood. I feel it has sort of a boat feel of teak and white. I took it one step at a time before making decisions about what to paint out and what to leave as is. I'm happy with my pure white walls. Maybe you could leave your railing stained and add a stained board across where the paneling breaks between the first and second floor. Your patio doors are dark. Maybe you could trim them out in stained wood to match the board above the doors and the railing. Congrats to you in your new abode!
    ...See More

Can I paint a bathroom green?

Q

Comments (22)
    sheesharee & awn03: thanks! DH loves saturated color, so I figured this bathroom with lots of afternoon sun would take it well. It's still a work in progress, though. saypoint & my3dogs: I absolutely love your bathrooms! Saypoint--I love that you did brass-toned fixtures....I'm currently in love with these finishes for our old house and would like to do them when we add a master bathroom. But DH thinks they look dated because they were in his childhood home, with commonplace late 70s/early 80s decor, mind you...much different from what I am envisioning and what you have done!
    ...See More

Today's Feel-Good Story

Q

Comments (4)
    Beautiful, I'll be passing this timely story on. Thanks.
    ...See More

Green/blue/grey cabinets? Would you do it again?

Q

Comments (62)
    Love this thread, thanks for bringing it back. My kitchen was done 8 years ago and I SOOO wish that Semihandmade had been around then (from DIY2's link). They would have saved me a lot of money and frustration with contractors. Anyway, my cabs are white and awhile ago, I saw a brilliant dark royal blue kitchen in a magazine. I thought maybe I'll do that some day, but don't think that's very realistic of me. However, it is time to repaint the walls, so I appreciate this discussion of color. They've been a cheerful cantaloupe and am thinking about a pale creamy yellow. The more dramatic option of the deep blue is also attractive. What to do...
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago

I am all for dark colors.

I agree that the one on the left looks a bit pinker, but in the end, with two coats, might be a richer look.

In both cases, tho, at least on my monitor, neither one is purple, but plum.

If you love it, go for it. My bathroom is a very dark moss green, and I have never regretted it.

• 12 years ago

Bee, love, love, love the purple. You're not a "safe" person! I'd try another coat or 2 on the left one and see what it looks like in a bigger patch.

• 12 years ago

I'm not usually a purple fan but love the darker of the two. I think it would look great in there. It might be worth trying it on a full wall to see if it's something you could live with. When I read your comment about maybe preferring a shear, it made me think of these window shears.

• 12 years ago

OK, you asked us to bring it on, so here's my thinking, for what it's worth: I don't like either of them with your floor. It may be the way my monitor is showing colors, but what I see is too contrasty, and in a way that does not seem to work well. Is there any chance you could show us a close up of the floor?

• 12 years ago

lukkiirish--lovely...any source for that shade?

To All--I am so shocked that you like the purple. No, really, I thought for sure every single one of you would have said, too dark with that vanity and floor, don't do it, etc. hmmm

I am NOT doing the ceiling in this color even though that would give me quite the "jewel box" look. So, on the ceiling should it be as bright a white as I can find to help brighten it up and reflect the little bit of light I get? Or maybe a silver/gray? Or a pale pale blue?

I did find roller shade at Penneys online that looks interesting. This is the color choice, and I can't grab the overall shot of them in the window, but if you want to look, the link takes you to the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: full view of the shade

• 12 years ago

My DS bought a house and the MB has dark cabinety & is painted a dark gray; it sucks all the light out of the room. Keep that in mind if you go with the purple.

• 12 years ago

Every so often GW drives me crazy. I posted the photos, changed my subject line, hit submit, and I got an ERROR.

ugh

Oh well, here are more photos of the tile. My photo of it on the display board isn't the best so I've included some advertisement ones, which are pretty accurate.

• 12 years ago

Just curious.....all the colors you've considered are very different. What would you like to accomplish for the bath? I love purple, but that deep shade does feel "heavy" for a lack of a better word; with the black vanity (which I love). Have you been to the BM site & tried out the deep purple? Color is so individual. I've seen black bathrooms I've loved on line...but I normally am drawn to light to medium colors. Btw, I like the nimbus.

• 12 years ago

have you looked at BM Kalamata AF-630 in the Afiinity line? It's a beautiful sophisticated dark purple. Picture the olive as the name suggests.

Here is a link that might be useful: AF 630 Kalamata

• 12 years ago

Bee, No, sorry, right now I don't have a specific source. I saw them originally a few years ago at Calico Corners as a full slider treatment. They were gorgeous but too pricey. I only recently saw that they were now available in an affordable price range for smaller windows. I'm considering them for our dining room and kitchen.

If you do a search for sheer shades, several companies do sell them, I've just not researched it yet to know who's got the best product/price.

• 12 years ago

southerngal, Here's my thinking. I don't know what "look" I'm going for. I'm not necessarily going for "the spa" look. I do like that, but it's not my intention to get that look. If it happens, fine.

I want a room that looks like it belongs with the rest of my house. When I did the blue, it looked like a color that the previous owners or builder used and I just never got around to finishing the bathroom. My colors are all along the Baltic Gray, Nimbus, Wasabi, and some deep chocolate browns. Logically, I know I should use a gray in there and if it comes to it, I will because I can make that work. I just don't want to disappoint my 19 year old son--he is so tired of all the grays in the house--he is colorblind so I'm sure that even though I can see all the variety in my choices of gray, and I can see the blue in the grays, he can't. This is his primary bathroom, until he goes back to school in August (anybody have a calendar?).

I wonder if the reason I even posted this was because I do Not think the purple really works and I wanted you all to agree with me. But some of you surprised me and said to go for it. I mean I really want it to work, I like that the purple helps tie into my purple accents I have around the house and in the living room:

• 12 years ago

Without reading through the responses, I'm sorry to say I'm not lovin' this and generally I do love your choices. I don't know if you have your heart set on this or not so my apologies if this rains on your parade! There is something very oppressive about the combination of colors you'd have in there with the dark purple, dark tile, dark vanity. The white fixtures aren't enough to counter that.

If it would help I can dig out a picture of a bed alcove I painted years ago in dark purple and the bed was a dark stained wood. Window trim & treatment, crown and baseboard were all white. It felt sophisticated and cozy for about a minute and a half and then went into depression vibe!!! Might give you an idea.

• 12 years ago

I love those purples - they don't "fit" into my color scheme. Thought I'd share that I recently had my bathroom painted a very dark color - I will have to check the can as I don't remember what color it was. I do know that it comes across as a charcoal with a "hint" of purple. Almost like a deep eggplant (but darker). Because "I" know the purple is in it "I" see it -however most people would think it is a soft black or charcoal. I love it without having added any accessories to soften the look. Don't be afraid to enter "the dark side". I will attempt to try and upload a pic for you today - and I say attempt loosely - haven't tried this for two years!

• 12 years ago

Have you considered a lighter shade of purple/lavender?

• 12 years ago

I love your decorating style!

The purple is a little too cold for me with the floor (I really like the tile, and it seems like the dark purple isn't relating to it on my monitor) Have you thought about going browner? BM Wenge is a great dark brown that has a purplish undertone. Otherwise, I can see an warmer brown like BM Fresh Brew.

• 12 years ago

I'm not feeling the dark purple, sorry. As Nancy suggested, if you want something in the purple range, how about going lighter? BM Piano Concerto is pretty.

I do like the Nimbus. Maybe leave it as is and add some luscious dark plummy towels?

• 12 years ago

Thats a tuff one. The nimbus doesn't look like it goes with the rest of what you have. The eggplant colors look like they would look elegant, but because of the dark flooring and cabinet, I don't know, seems like it could be oppressive. It may be nice to have a lighter color in there coming from the dark hallway.

• 12 years ago

I'd be afraid it's going to look like a cave in there.

• 12 years ago

I hope these pics come through for you. This is the color I was referring to with regard to the deep, dark, purplish charcoal. It worked well in my space.

• 12 years ago

I want to love the purple ... but I really don't. Forgive me for being so blunt, but with your flooring, the overall effect (to me) is that of a bruise. I haven't read all of the responses so don't know if this has been suggested (and perhaps already pooh-pooh'd!), but I'm wondering if a shade of terra cotta would work for you?

• 12 years ago

kellykath, no pictures...

sueb20, you have no idea how funny your comment is. See the photo with all the purple paint swatches? That's how it is now. When you said leave it as it is now, makes me chuckle. I'm half tempted to do just that!

I think I have decided that it is just too much to go dark purple in there. If the room had no windows, like my powder room,then, maybe because I'm not counting on any natural light.

So back to the BM store today. I looked in the grays section with ones that were leaning towards blues/lavenders. I will need to do some priming again to cover that purple, then I'll tape up some more paint chips and go from there.

I actually told the guy at the store "That's it, I'm out of options" He laughed and sent me home with more paint chips.

oh, katrina, the nimbus is on the same paint swatch as all the other colors I have. I think it might not be photographing well. It's related to the Baltic Gray, Willow Creek, and Eagle Rock that I have.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

• 12 years ago

I will try one last time!

• 12 years ago

Why not use the color of the leather chairs? or a tad darker.
    I don't care for the dark purple with the dark cabinets either. but I don't usually go for dark colors.

• 12 years ago

Bee, if you're using BM Aura, you shouldn't have to prime to cover the purple. I am amazed at how beautifully two coats of light green is covering that deep, dark turquoise on my dining room walls. Good luck!

• 12 years ago

Bee, I have always loved this combo since seeing the pics. Check the link below for BM Vintage Wine and Wasabi.

Here is a link that might be useful: beautiful combo

• 12 years ago

Not to hijack, but My3dogs, that BM Vintage Wine is gorgeous. And I thought I didn't have a summer project ... where to paint ....?

And FWIW, I love dark bathrooms or at least ones saturated in color.

• 12 years ago

I like the direction and think that it will look even better when you put in some other accents like artwork and towels etc. Perhaps do as others have suggested and go a little lighter in color.

• 12 years ago

I like the dark purples on their own, but not with the new floor. If you want something richer, maybe a rust color? Or if lighter, BM revere pewter? A lighter grayed purple like BM Wet Concrete?

• 12 years ago

Well, my son, who's close to yours in age, probably wouldn't go for purple. He picked BM Lucerne for his bathroom (I know it's a blue). His bedroom is a really bright blue but he loves it (SW Blue Plate). Note: The BM Lucerne on the BM site looks very different on my monitor.

What's the original blue you used?

• 12 years ago

I went with Baltic Gray. Waiting for the floor to go down, and I'll post pictures.

• 12 years ago

Just a quick, hopefully helpful, point to those trying to post pictures...if the picture doesn't show up when you hit preview, we won't see it either, so don't hit submit yet.

Upload your photo to something free like photobucket. Copy the html code that displays there for your photo(usually just hover over it and click and it will say copied), then paste that code into the body of this message. Hit return after each picture to make sure they don't get too wide for the screen. Hope this helps. And remember that when you preview your message, if you don't see the picture then, we won't either, so try again before submitting.

Now back to bees paint saga....

• 12 years ago

ok, I'll give it another try. . .