SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_williams_gw

Standing desk in living room

dave_williams
9 years ago

I just moved into a new 1 bedroom apartment and I'm planning where to set up my home office. I would like to get a "treadmill desk" -- a workstation where I walk on a slow moving treadmill while working at my computer. Here is the model I want to get (more info here).

{{!gwi}}

(It may look strange but I tried one before and really enjoyed it. It is said to be good for people who get back pain when they sit too long.)

It has 2 separate pieces -- a treadmill base and an adjustable height standing desk. I would put my laptop on it as well as a large LCD monitor.

My problem is one of space. My small bedroom is already too crowded with my bed, so the best place I see to put the treadmill desk is in my living room. However, I frequently have guests over for dinner parties so I don't want my home office to mar the ambiance. Here is my living room; I plan to put the desk on the middle of the tile wall so that when I stand at the desk I am facing the tile wall:

When guests are over, the treadmill itself can be easily rolled and stowed away in another room. The question is what to do with the desk. In my opinion it looks too utilitarian/functional. One idea is to put a drape/cloth over it when guests are over. The LCD monitor would serve as a small TV (I don't need a big one), and I could adjust the height downward so the TV is at the right height.

Another alternative is to buy a different desk, since the treadmill can be bought separately. As you can see from this Google Images page, there are lots of different looks for standing desks, and some of them look more homey.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

This post was edited by dave_williams on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 8:50

Comments (8)