SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Why My Home Is Still Undone 13yrs Later....

ttodd
10 years ago

I couldn't make a 'permanent' decision if my house selling, home decorating life depended on it. And this is also why I couldn't be an interior designer. I become paralyzed w/ fear when I have to make a decision if it's something that is not easily changed out like accessories, throw pillows and wall color.

I finally realized this last night to it's full extent when our kitchen faucet fell off in my hands and I was forced to have to go buy a new one on the spot. For years I have dreamed about a new kitchen. I have even posted about it here on occasion. I troll and tab kitchens in magazines and have a multitude of kitchens pinned to boards on my Pinterest account. My dad has designed my kitchen complete w/ custom built cabinets (we bagged that idea so that we can sell ASAP as soon as our porch is back in the front and other minor repairs and de-cluttering are done). I've traipsed the aisles at IKEA in search of quick cabinet and counter solutions. I've snapped so many pictures for inspiration while there. I've 'shopped' Ebay for cabinet and drawer pulls over and over.

And then I actually had to make a move last night.

I found myself at Lowes (yes that was me standing in the faucet aisle w/ a 4 yr. old skipping up and down the aisle bouncing her Od Navy balloon w/ a stick). On a side note thank heaven for that sales associate at ON - she gets a raise for forethought of giving a balloon to a preschooler pre-faucet shopping trip. She clearly knew that I wasn't prepared for the ordeal of a dire 'faucet making "OMG WILL THE WRONG FAUCET MAKE OR BREAK THE SALE OF MY HOUSE" decision' that was ahead of me.

Nevermind everything else that is falling apart around me. As if reality is really going to let my house NOT sell because of the wrong faucet choice trumping the giant wall crack in the hallway, the window pulleys that need fixed, the windows that are sliding down, the lack of storage etc.

Oh and then I had a budget of $100. That actually helped a lot because that narrowed my choices down to 2 options in the whole aisle. One was ORB and the other shiny polished silver. Both high gooseneck faucets. Perfect. But then the questions in my head started and they got louder and louder and I got more and more confused which did not calm them down at all (a shot of vodka would have been good to calm the nerves here). They were the rustic vs. country sophisticate personalities battling it out in my noggin.

"Which countertop am I going to do? Black, white, butcher block?" which led to:

"What color hardware will I use? ORB, black, silver?" to:

"Should I mix and match? Will that be eclectic cool? Will buyers think I'm crazy? Oh my gosh, should I mix and match paint color on my cabinets now? Should I mix and match countertops now?" Then:

"What about my light fixtures? They're all rusty fancy chandies w/ crystals. So Silver faucet? ORB faucet? Are my friends at GW still up? Should I post on FB? No - they will def. think I'm crazy and I see some of those people. Don't post - just pace this out and frantically scroll through Pinterest."

Haven't I been through this scenario in my head a billion times? I've planned. I've dreamed. It's just a faucet for Pete's Sake!

God Bless DD as nearly 45 minutes went by w/ me looking like a lunatic. I was at Lowes so long that the red blotches that broke out on her face and neck at Old Navy cleared up by the time we left Lowes. Because that was going to be a whole other frantic message to my nurse friend!
I decided the best decision was to grab and dash. Stop thinking - just go. They were getting ready to turn lights out.......

I got the silver one. They even gave me $10 off. I almost hugged someone.

Comments (24)