SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahwalker_gw

Would love opinions on girl's nursery...

leahwalker
15 years ago

Please bear with me...

Our baby girl's nursery (she's still 3 mos away) is currently SW Harmonic Tan. The furniture is pine with "Chestnut" stain. This picture *isn't* our exact furniture, and we have a different model, but it's this finish and the same overall Mission styling. It isn't the (coffee or white) set I intended to buy, but when we saw some of the features of this set, that won out over color. We also ordered some nice ORB knobs to replace the wooden ones the dresser came with - big improvement.

I'm not one for themed nurseries, nor particularly froo-froo, and I've never been a fan of pink. I've been going for neutral, but not "boy" - hard to find. I've found two possibilities. Of the two, this is my personal favorite. In person, it's much less geometric/stark looking, overall more faded and neutral, and more olivey. The colors blend into each other much more so than in the picture - it's really not an accurate picture, but I don't have an actual one.

{{gwi:1714142}}

I had planned to use some off-white voile sheers and drapery, some "fem it up" accents, and a botanical print series I adore (4 in the series):

Now - this all sounded fine and good, and I had maybe 5% concern it would be "boy." I show a girlfriend my plans today and her first comment is, "I thought you were having a girl?" Two others proceeded to have similar comments, and one said, "I don't think it's too masculine, I think it's a nice neutral." Now, I know that us & baby + grandparents are going to be who sees this 99% of the time, so it shouldn't really matter, but I still want the room to be nice.

So I started to second guess my approach with neutrality. I found one "girly" set that I *really* like, but in my mind it clashes with the furniture. I'm surprised I like it, because it's the first "girl" set I've seen that I care for at all, in nearly 10 mos of looking. But I can't even pretend that I'll be able to make it work with the pine/Mission furntiure (IMO):

So now I'm in a conundrum.

a) Go with the original/olivey set, and trust that I can adequately fem it up with the right accessories?

b) Go with the girly set, and ignore the fact that (IMO) it won't work with the furniture? Or see if I can find some way to make it work? Put the wooden knobs back on, and top it with a coral colored jelly jar lamp sitting on a sage fabric square? :)

c) Scrap both, and go with my #2 neutral choice, which is mostly cream with some light khaki green and terracotta accents. Rather plain, and going to be a pain to accessorize.

d) Something I'm not yet listing? I'd normally consider exchanging the furniture, but the features on this one were perfect, unique to this line, and it's a ~3 hour drive. AND that stuff is heavy, and on the 3rd floor! And I'm pretty sure we ditched the packaging, figuring we'd never consider exchanging it since the features would be perfect and the wood tone would go with any neutral...

Ack, help... :/

Comments (14)