SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ca

RECIPE: Artisinal Pizza Dough

becky_ca
15 years ago

Like a lot of us, I have been working on perfecting my pizza making skills for a long time. I was telling a friend about my new favorite pizza crust recipe, and thought I'd share it since I'd formatted it to send to her.

While it's definitely better if it's made the full 24 hours in advance, I have a hard time thinking that far ahead sometimes. So I've been making it in the morning, leaving it to rise all day in my oven with the light on for a little heat, and while it's not quite as good as after the full 24 hours, it's still pretty tasty. I also don't bother with putting the dough in a fresh bowl - I leave it in the bowl it was mixed in, and scrape it out with a bench scraper at the end. Enjoy :-)

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Artisanal Pizza Dough

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 cups bread or all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/4 cups 2% low-fat milk

2 tablespoons olive oil -- plus more for bowl

Whisk the flour, yeast and salt together in a large bowl, then pour in the milk and oil. Mix together with a large fork or your hands. Knead once or twice to form a ball. It may be sticky, but that's okay.

Oil a bowl and set the dough in it. Lay a sheet of waxed paper loosely over the top, then cover with plastic wrap. Place a clean dish towel over the bowl and allow to rise at room temperature and undisturbed for 24 hours. Turn the dough once in the bowl about 3 hours before you want to use it. The 24 hour fermentation process takes the place of kneading the dough.

When you are ready to make your pizza, divide the dough in half on a lightly floured board, then proceed with your pizza making. The dough can be frozen for up to a month; Thaw at room temperature before using.

Makes two 12"-14" pizza crusts

Source:

""Pizza on the Grill" by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comments (40)