SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Here's some of what I've been working on.

jennifer_in_va
16 years ago

This was a QuiltSmart pattern that I'd gotten last year. You use printed fusible web to make some of the apple cores, then fuse it down to a base of squares to achieve the other apple cores. They also wanted a 2 step quilting processs which I didn't do. So I did all the sewing after I sandwiched the layers, using a small zig zag around all the cores. The caterpillar was an afterthought...the placement of 'values' was the lesson for me.

These blocks I won through my guild's BOM program last year. Never really sure what to do with them, but knew I didn't need another quilt, so finally came up with a new shower curtain! I call it "Picking Personality" since I had one fish that was white (someone not following directions) I faced him opposite the others. Used buttons for eyes.

Comments (16)

• gillian_41
    16 years ago

Clever idea the shower curtain, and it looks like you have the colour value figured out both quilts are really eye catching.
    Gillian.

• Rene54
    16 years ago

Jen, wonderful projects, the apple cores are so viberant, love the work, the shower curtain is so cute, The fish that is different is the Leader! (I did the same thing with a turtle ) your work has grown so much the the space of the few years the forum has been our meeting place, Kudos to you. Rene

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Now that is one nice shower curtain. I love the buttons for eyes. And the blendy colors of the other quilt are neat, too.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Those are really wonderfully creative projects. I love the shower curtain.

• msmeow
    16 years ago

They are both great! I did an apple core the traditional way, and it will be the ONLY one I ever do! I used mine as a color value exercise, too.

Love the shower curtain!

• idahoqltr
    16 years ago

Very creative and attractive! Good work!

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

What a perfect pattern for a shower curtain - good idea!

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

The caterpillar is the perfect touch to add interest to the top quilt, and I absolutely love the shower curtain. You took someone's mistake and turned it into an asset, the way you handled the white fish.

• bluebars
    16 years ago

I love the shower curtain! Makes me want to go home and make one too! How did you make the holes for the rings? Is it just lined? Is it heavy?
    I love that the fishes are all in stars!
    Thanks!
    BlueBars

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

Wonderful job. Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, all.

Bluebars~ The shower curtain is just top & backing. I brought the backing around to the front so didn't even have borders/binding to deal with. The buttons serve as the 'quilting', though I did consider quilting bubbles or sea grass. Instead I just wanted it done.

I did put stiff craft interfacing along the top to give substance while hanging. The holes are just button holes. My hangers don't even require me to take them down to remove so they just slipped through the button hole.

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Great job, lots of immagination. If you hadn't told me I would have thought the white fish was teaching the school of fish.
    Jayne

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Very nice Jen,ans i'm another that loves the shower curtain.
    Kathi

• sandra_ferguson
    16 years ago

LOVE the shower curtain....and, what a good idea....yet ANOTHER place for quilting.

• nana24
    16 years ago

Jennifer,
    Both your quilts are great. I love the smiling caterpillar-he's in heaven in all those apple cores.
    The shower curtain is so creative! What a wonderful way to showcase all those fish.
    TFS
    Sally

• sew_self-taught
    16 years ago

Jennifer  I love your shower curtain! Placing the one odd fish in the opposite direction was a terrific idea. I really think it looks great. Nice job on the apple core quilt too. I donÂt think I would have the patience. IÂm impressed. Super cute caterpillar too.

Nina